Posted to hdfs-user@hadoop.apache.org by Zheng Shao <zs...@facebook.com> on 2010/06/15 23:26:15 UTC

DFSClient swallows InterruptedException

DFSClient sometimes swallowed InterruptedException. Is that intended?

According to this, we should never swallow an InterruptedException. Application might use InterruptedException for thread cooperation.
http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/java/library/j-jtp05236.html

Shall we open a JIRA to fix this?

Zheng

Re: DFSClient swallows InterruptedException

Posted by Todd Lipcon <to...@cloudera.com>.
On Wed, Jun 16, 2010 at 11:38 AM, Owen O'Malley <om...@apache.org> wrote:

> On Jun 15, 2010, at 4:25 PM, Dhruba Borthakur wrote:
>
>  I think we should open a JIRA and fix it. Code than runs as part of an
>> application should not swallow interrrupted exception.
>>

> I'm a big fan of removing the swallowing of interrupted exceptions. One
> word of caution however, the catches buried down in RPC are hard to remove
> with out breaking things. (In particular, the rpc protocols don't declare
> interrupted exception, so if you throw it through one of the proxy object
> methods, you'll get bad results.)

This is partially improved in HADOOP-6762

-Todd

--
Todd Lipcon
Software Engineer, Cloudera

Re: DFSClient swallows InterruptedException

Posted by Owen O'Malley <om...@apache.org>.

Posted by Zheng Shao <zs...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Dhruba.

Opened https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HDFS-1208

--
Yours,
Zheng

Re: DFSClient swallows InterruptedException

Posted by Dhruba Borthakur <dh...@gmail.com>.