Posted to dev@activemq.apache.org by Sepand M <se...@gmail.com> on 2006/09/06 01:09:55 UTC

SSL authentication/authorization patch

Hey guys,

The patch is done.
It's here: https://issues.apache.org/activemq/browse/AMQ-912
Hope you like it.
It would be really great if you could give an estimate of when you will
decide if it goes in or not (although I doubt you can =) ).

Regards,
Sepand

Re: SSL authentication/authorization patch

Posted by Sepand M <se...@gmail.com>.
Sorry. Using thunderbird, didn't see the Hiram's reply =)

Posted by Sepand M <se...@gmail.com>.
The keystore problem has been addressed (the patch we talked about before
should fix it, right?)
Checking the DN should be possible through the
JaasCertificationAuthenticationModule (I'm not too sure about the name, I
haven't looked at the code in a while); the entire client certificate chain
is passed in so you should have all the data you need.
the setEnabledCipherSuites is not currently possible without the heavy
modifications you mentioned (do you agree Hiram?). I think the best method
for doing this would be to create a reflection-based createTransport call
(just like the ones there, but with support for custom objects). That would
take a lot of work too, but it would also be more useful and compatible with
the current architecture.

Posted by Kelly Campbell <ke...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Sepand M <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Hiram Chirino <hi...@hiramchirino.com>.
Hi kelly I think that's allready supported.

The client can do something like ssl://localhost:61617?socket.socketOption=xxx

Not sure if the same works on the server side.  I have a feeling that
on the server side, it has to be:
ssl://localhost:61617?transport.socket.socketOption=xxx

Hiram

Blog: http://hiramchirino.com

Re: SSL authentication/authorization patch

Posted by Kelly Campbell <ke...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Sepand M <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Hiram Chirino <hi...@hiramchirino.com>.
On 9/21/06, Hiram Chirino <hi...@hiramchirino.com> wrote:
> On 9/21/06, Kelly Campbell <ke...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Thanks for getting this submitted Sepand, and thanks for patching it in Hiram.
> >
> > I'm looking at how best to configure the keystore settings more
> > dynamically without using the default system properties or anything in
> > the URL. It looks like I'd need to be able to pass in a
> > javax.net.ssl.SSLContext or SSLSocketFactory. I'd also like to be able
> > to pass these in so I can provide an implementation that does some
> > extra security checks, e.g. checking that the server's DN is what we
> > expect, turning off weak ciphers.
> >

> It would be nice if they were properties on the ssl transport server
> so that you can configure them using the URI... like:
>
> ssl://localhost:61617?keystore=foo.ks&truststore=foo.ts
>
> > The part I'm struggling with now is where to create this API for the
> > client. Should it be a new constructor on ActiveMQConnectionFactory,
> > or should I add a new overridden ActiveMQSecureConnectionFactory? Or
> > should I just override it in my own code base, and not have this in
> > the activemq code at all?
>
> Just add properties to the SslTransportServer and make sure they have setters.

And properties to the SslTransport if you want to set those properties
on the client connect URL

> > Thanks,
> > Kelly
> >
> > On 9/11/06, Hiram Chirino <hi...@hiramchirino.com> wrote:
> > > starting to look into it now. thx for the patch!

> > > --
> > > Regards,
> > > Hiram
> > >
> > > Blog: http://hiramchirino.com
> > >

> --
> Regards,
> Hiram
>
> Blog: http://hiramchirino.com

Hiram

Blog: http://hiramchirino.com

Re: SSL authentication/authorization patch

Posted by Hiram Chirino <hi...@hiramchirino.com>.
On 9/21/06, Kelly Campbell <ke...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks for getting this submitted Sepand, and thanks for patching it in Hiram.
>
> I'm looking at how best to configure the keystore settings more
> dynamically without using the default system properties or anything in
> the URL. It looks like I'd need to be able to pass in a
> javax.net.ssl.SSLContext or SSLSocketFactory. I'd also like to be able
> to pass these in so I can provide an implementation that does some
> extra security checks, e.g. checking that the server's DN is what we
> expect, turning off weak ciphers.

It would be nice if they were properties on the ssl transport server
so that you can configure them using the URI... like:

ssl://localhost:61617?keystore=foo.ks&truststore=foo.ts

> The part I'm struggling with now is where to create this API for the
> client. Should it be a new constructor on ActiveMQConnectionFactory,
> or should I add a new overridden ActiveMQSecureConnectionFactory? Or
> should I just override it in my own code base, and not have this in
> the activemq code at all?

Just add properties to the SslTransportServer and make sure they have setters.

> Thanks,
> Kelly
>
> On 9/11/06, Hiram Chirino <hi...@hiramchirino.com> wrote:
> > starting to look into it now. thx for the patch!
> >
> > On 9/5/06, Sepand M <se...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Hey guys,
> > >
> > > The patch is done.
> > > It's here: https://issues.apache.org/activemq/browse/AMQ-912
> > > Hope you like it.
> > > It would be really great if you could give an estimate of when you will
> > > decide if it goes in or not (although I doubt you can =) ).
> > >
> > > Regards,
> > > Sepand
> > >

> > --
> > Regards,
> > Hiram
> >
> > Blog: http://hiramchirino.com

Hiram

Blog: http://hiramchirino.com

Re: SSL authentication/authorization patch

Posted by Kelly Campbell <ke...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Hiram Chirino <hi...@hiramchirino.com>.
starting to look into it now. thx for the patch!

On 9/5/06, Sepand M <se...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey guys,
>
> The patch is done.
> It's here: https://issues.apache.org/activemq/browse/AMQ-912
> Hope you like it.
> It would be really great if you could give an estimate of when you will
> decide if it goes in or not (although I doubt you can =) ).
>
> Regards,
> Sepand

Hiram

Blog: http://hiramchirino.com