Posted to apache-bugdb@apache.org by Greg Saylor <we...@net-virtual.com> on 1998/07/07 21:25:58 UTC

general/2563: First httpd process seems to die....

>Number:         2563
>Category:       general
>Synopsis:       First httpd process seems to die....
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
I am attempting to monitor the activity of the parent httpd process in Apache so that if it dies it can be restarted on another machine.  However, I am having a wierd problem, when I start the httpd daemon like this:

./httpd &
[1234]
It prints a process number in brackets, but when I do a "ps -ef" that process ID no longer exists.  Since my monitoring software has to launch the httpd daemon and keep track of the first one it keeps trying to restart it because it thinks it has died...  I have used that switch (forget which one it is from the command line, I think -D, where it only runs one daemon for debugging) and then everything works fine, however obviously I don't want to do that in a production environment... Any suggestions or ideas regarding this?...

- Greg S.