Posted to dev@taverna.apache.org by Stian Soiland-Reyes <st...@apache.org> on 2018/09/05 11:07:39 UTC

Taverna logo as SVG?

Hi,

The ASF Community folks were asking for SVG or high-res versions of
product logos, and I realized Taverna didn't really have one, as we only
have a 256x256 PNG:

https://taverna.incubator.apache.org/img/taverna-logo-256x256.png

For years I have been looking for the original vector version of our
logo, but this is the best I've found so far.  Anyone else have
something in their email archives..?

A bitmap format like PNG is bad because it can't scale well with web
pages, particularly relevant for mobile/tablet phones or if scaled up on
a poster printout. A vector format like SVG should be preferable and is
now supported in all major browsers.

Now I had a quick trace of the png in Inkscape and managed to come up with:

http://taverna.staging.apache.org/img/apache-taverna-logo.svg

Comments?

Vectorizing by tracing the bitmap is a bit of cheating, so you will
notice this file is actually larger in file size (216 kB) than the PNG
(72 kB). This is basically the coastline measuring paradox. If I click
"Simplify" in Inkscape I can reduce the details to a managable 32 kB,
but then the cogs turn into wobbly circles!

Here you can see what the svg might look like used in larger size:

http://taverna.staging.apache.org/

Try zooming in on a high-res tablet or screen to check the details.

For comparison if we use the old PNG:

http://taverna.staging.apache.org/tmp/logo-png.html

or even a PNG (56 kB) exported from the new SVG

http://taverna.staging.apache.org/tmp/logo-png2.html

.. then we see a clear difference in the SVG. For the logo in the top
corner there is practically no visual difference as it's so tiny.

Comparing the SVG with the original PNG will show information lost in
the trace, e.g. the inner edges of the cog.

An alternative might be to try to recreate some cogs in Inkscape or
Adobe Illustrator, this should bring back the details and probably
shrink the SVG size. But that would take more time... any volunteers?

I've updated the banner which should then be better for print:
http://taverna.staging.apache.org/img/apache-taverna-banner.svg

I've not played with removing the gradient to a single-color, that can
reduce file size, but makes it harder to pick the right orange..

What do you think? Just keep the SVG as a side-resource for anyone
interested?

--
Stian Soiland-Reyes
The University of Manchester

Re: Taverna logo as SVG?

Posted by Stuart Owen <st...@manchester.ac.uk>.
I have copies in my email archives as 480x480:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/s47txe4qnpfvi60/taverna-wheel-large.png?dl=0

and also as EPS (Illustrator) format:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/6lu842ighnj92lr/taverna-wheel.eps?dl=0. I
think the EPS should be scalable vector format.

regards,

Stuart.

Re: Taverna logo as SVG?

Posted by Stuart Owen <st...@manchester.ac.uk>.

On 06/09/18 17:25, Stuart Owen wrote:
> I have copies in my email archives as 480x480:
> https://www.dropbox.com/s/s47txe4qnpfvi60/taverna-wheel-large.png?dl=0
>
> and also as EPS (Illustrator) format:
> https://www.dropbox.com/s/6lu842ighnj92lr/taverna-wheel.eps?dl=0.
>
> I think the EPS should be a scalable vector format.

Although looking closer, these seem to have a slightly different style
and perspective to them.

Taverna logo as SVG?

Posted by Stuart Owen <st...@manchester.ac.uk>.

RE: Taverna logo as SVG?

Posted by Ian Dunlop <ia...@gmail.com>.
Hello,

That logo looks good enough to me. Makes me wonder why one of the cogs is disappearing off the right hand edge. I never noticed that before but looks like it has always been the case.

Cheers,

Ian

Sent from Mail for Windows 10