Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Charles Sliger <ch...@reliant.com> on 1999/02/12 06:45:26 UTC

MinSpareServers

In testing the MinSpareServers directive I have found the
server to be inconsistent.

The test consists of spawning the httpd server,
waiting 30 seconds to allow it to create its children,
and then counting the number of processes returned by
the ps command that contain the pid stored in the
httpd.pid file created by the master httpd process.

I tried increasing the wait time from 10 to 20 and
then from 20 to 30 seconds with no improvement.

Wait Time (sleep) = 30

MaxSpareServers   = 12

MinSpareServers  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9
Process Count:   6  6  6  6  6  7  9  9  13

Can someone educate me as to what is going on here?
-chaz

Re: MinSpareServers

Posted by Dean Gaudet <dg...@arctic.org>.

On Thu, 11 Feb 1999, Dean Gaudet wrote:

> On Thu, 11 Feb 1999, Charles Sliger wrote:
>
> > In testing the MinSpareServers directive I have found the
> > server to be inconsistent.
> >
> > The test consists of spawning the httpd server,
> > waiting 30 seconds to allow it to create its children,
> > and then counting the number of processes returned by
> > the ps command that contain the pid stored in the
> > httpd.pid file created by the master httpd process.
> >
> > I tried increasing the wait time from 10 to 20 and
> > then from 20 to 30 seconds with no improvement.
> >
> > Wait Time (sleep) = 30
> >
> > MaxSpareServers   = 12
> >
> > MinSpareServers  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9
> > Process Count:   6  6  6  6  6  7  9  9  13

Oh yeah and you should also read about the exponential spawning behaviour.

It's explained in htdocs/manual/misc/perf-tuning.html.

Dean

Re: MinSpareServers

Posted by Dean Gaudet <dg...@arctic.org>.
On Thu, 11 Feb 1999, Charles Sliger wrote:

> In testing the MinSpareServers directive I have found the
> server to be inconsistent.
>
> The test consists of spawning the httpd server,
> waiting 30 seconds to allow it to create its children,
> and then counting the number of processes returned by
> the ps command that contain the pid stored in the
> httpd.pid file created by the master httpd process.
>
> I tried increasing the wait time from 10 to 20 and
> then from 20 to 30 seconds with no improvement.
>
> Wait Time (sleep) = 30
>
> MaxSpareServers   = 12
>
> MinSpareServers  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9
> Process Count:   6  6  6  6  6  7  9  9  13

I don't see what the problem is... this looks totally correct.

You're counting the parent as well as the children.  There's always one
extra "httpd".

You also need to read up on the StartServers parameter.

Dean