Posted to ivy-user@ant.apache.org by "Brown, Carlton" <Ca...@compucredit.com> on 2008/07/21 15:52:44 UTC

What is special about the master configuration

Hi All,

Recently, I needed to retrieve log4j non-transitively from Maven 2
central (because the log4j pom states dependencies on jarfiles that are
not stored there).   The problem is that the transitivity relationship
is defined only in the ivy:resolve task, not in the ivy.xml file.   So
it seemed impossible to resolve some dependencies transitively and
others non-transitively in the same ivy:resolve call.

Somehow I stumbled upon a kludge of specifying a master->master
configuration mapping (which worked just fine).   How and why does this
work?  Can I rely upon it to work in every situation, is it possible
that it might break in some future version of Ivy?  I can no longer find
the origin of this advice, so I return to the mailing list to ask if
anyone knows.

Thanks in advance,
Carlton

RE: What is special about the master configuration

Posted by "Brown, Carlton" <Ca...@compucredit.com>.
Actually I think ivy:install somehow maps this into the generated
ivy.xml:

<conf name="master" visibility="public" description="contains only the
artifact published by this module itself, with no transitive
dependencies">

What is the reason for choosing this particular name to represent this
particular configuration?  Does it provide compatibility with Maven or
is it something Ivy-related?

describe a transitive attribute to put in the ivy file for 1 specific
dependency.  Is it what you are searching for?

2008/7/21 Brown, Carlton <Ca...@compucredit.com>:
> Hi All,
>
> Recently, I needed to retrieve log4j non-transitively from Maven 2
> central (because the log4j pom states dependencies on jarfiles that
are
> not stored there).   The problem is that the transitivity relationship
> is defined only in the ivy:resolve task, not in the ivy.xml file.   So
> it seemed impossible to resolve some dependencies transitively and
> others non-transitively in the same ivy:resolve call.
>
> Somehow I stumbled upon a kludge of specifying a master->master
> configuration mapping (which worked just fine).   How and why does
this
> work?  Can I rely upon it to work in every situation, is it possible
> that it might break in some future version of Ivy?  I can no longer
> find the origin of this advice, so I return to the mailing list to ask

> if anyone knows.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Carlton

> This message contains PRIVILEGED and CONFIDENTIAL information that is
> intended only for use by the named recipient. If you are not the named

> recipient, any disclosure, dissemination, or action based on the
> contents of this message is prohibited. In such case please notify us
> and destroy and delete all copies of this transmission.  Thank you.

Gilles Scokart

Re: What is special about the master configuration

Posted by Gilles Scokart <gs...@gmail.com>.