Posted to users@flex.apache.org by Erik Thomas <er...@linqto.com> on 2020/09/11 02:55:08 UTC

Future of Flex

Hey all:

If you are a Flex devotee, like me, a longtime admirer of the beauty in Flex that introduced a declarative + procedural model that preceded Microsoft's C sharp and WPF models that essentially stole the idea from Flex for a structural MVC where the view and controller were represented by the MXML and as3 respectively, I believe there is much life left in Flex.

It is still a very relevant platform for creating single-codebase mobile apps for Android and iOS. It produces far smaller executables than Swift and most all other competing platforms. The availability of ANEs to access native capability provides near parity with native app development, not quite, but close enough to get multiplatform support for a single platform.

I've been developing Flex apps since 2007 with the release of Flex 3 by Adobe. I was working for Intuit at the time Flex was a huge departure from Intuit's C++/MFC centric development platform that was used for QuickBooks (I was a QuickBooks engineer prior to accepting a challenge to develop a new product using Flex). It was refreshing to start a new project and not have to maintain and develop on a 6 million LOC C++ application.

While I was at it I was also one of a team that was evaluating MS WPF so I learned that too, and while I still think WPF was amazing, it stole much of it's design from Macromedia that designed Flex, and I haven't seen a new paradigm to challenge the declarative/procedural design even today, IMHO. But the real power is in the runtime. Just like Java practically replaced C and C++ based web development because of the amazing advantages of a sandboxed runtime environment, the AIR runtime is brilliant, even today. No other major platform for mobile (or web, though the flash player is definitely dying) can equal the performance of the AIR runtime. One must compile to native and that comes with a boatload of problems especially multi-platform support. A runtime engine is still brilliant, just as Java runtimes still power nearly half of the billions of web apps on the internet.

What I don't understand is why Flex doesn't attract more developers, but I'm sure it's because universities and colleges, and tech schools don't teach it because it's considered fringe. If people really understood what it could do we could see third party tools, ANEs, and new innovations that pushed it back into the mainstream.

Oh well. Sometimes the best ideas and designs don't achieve mindshare and fail for reasons entirely unrelated to capability.

Ancients like me will remember the VHS vs. Betacam wars where the latter was 10X better and still failed because of marketing, mindshare, and somewhat political reasoning.

My company still has two very successful mobile apps built with Flex/AIR and some ANEs by Distriqt (the very best ANE developer on the planet without doubt): Linqto and Keiretsu Forum.

Alas, we have even succumbed to pressure to replace these apps with REACT Native and will be embarking on this road in the next month. It's a sad day. But now that a big company like Adobe has relinquished the reins of both Flex (some years ago) and AIR (to Harmann recently), it seems the fate of this amazing development platform is destined to the graveyard.

I know there's lots of great innovation with Royale to breathe live back into Flex apps, and there are migration options as well. These are great things, but in my opinion, unnecessary because the AIR runtime is FAR, FAR better than relying on any browser-based rendering engine to render javascript, html, and CSS.

Just sharing my opinion as someone who has made his living with Flex since 2007, was once a master/guru of MFC/C++ since Windows 1.5, and got my first contract in 1983.

Erik Thomas
Chief Architect
http://linqto.com

Re: Future of Flex

Posted by Carlos Rovira <ca...@apache.org>.
Hi Paul,

I think that nowadays DOM differences across browsers are each day less and
less, but Royale (as many other JS frameworks out there) try to remove any
inconsistencies thanks to providing cross browser solutions that are tested
in most used browsers. Maybe IE11 is the last big one difference and this
year Microsoft planned to remove it, so I expect that the last problematic
browser is left behind and only modern browsers are used very soon by most
of the people out there in the internet, that means very few DOM
inconsistencies.

Far beyond, Royale should be not only cross browser, but cross platforms
too. But while we have right now SWF and JS, we still lack other outputs
like native IOS/Android, or WASM. That only could be done with more
talented people working together to reach that goal. In fact I work in
Jewel for JS only since supporting SWF will be a lot of work. Maybe
someday I'll try to do it, or just try to support WASM that seems to have
more future.

I think the concept (in part) is the same as AIR. AIR tried to provide a
runtime that could work cross platforms, Royale should do the same. Use the
same programming model and make the tooling output what you need. Again how
that could be done in the future will depend on how many people want to
help, enjoy working on it and are passionate about make it happen.

Thanks

--
Carlos Rovira
http://about.me/carlosrovira

Re: Future of Flex

--
Carlos Rovira
http://about.me/carlosrovira

Re: Future of Flex

Posted by Carlos Rovira <ca...@apache.org>.
Hi,

I think people still using Apache Flex should take over this project and
make this kind of things happen.
I still believe in Flex for AIR projects, but I must say that currently my
focus is in Royale and that takes all of my time, and  I don't have any AIR
or Flex project out there now, so I'll not doing work for Apache Flex
project. I'm only interested in the BlazeDS part, and maybe we'll be
migrating to Royale to have it more near.

So others that still are using Flex should take over, and make that kind of
things happen. If you love Flex, things like the Android theme or any other
thing could happen if you make it real or recruit others to integrate PRs,
implement things or do releases.

That's the good and the bad of OS projects, you can't rely on others to
make it happen it depends on all of you still interested or using Flex :)

Carlos

El dom., 13 sept. 2020 a las 17:42, leokan23 (<le...@best-web.gr>) escribió:

> Erik Thomas-3 wrote
> > 1.) It is very difficult to find skilled (or even interested in learning)
> > Flex developers anymore. I posted a job on this very forum six weeks ago
> > and received no interest from anyone wanting to go full-time as a
> Flex/AIR
> > remote developer, and our other recruiting channel also came up empty.
>
> This has been so true and it has been like this for years. I was always
> taking care of recruiting Flex guys, and I was not able to find new ones
> for
> years. Even the last hires 4-5 years ago, were junior devs who I trained in
> flex.
>
> Apart from that, my biggest concern / issue / realization is that Flex has
> not been actively developed for years. Last update was in 2017. Even when a
> fellow dev tried to donate his Android skin update, that never actually
> happened. It is true that as long as Harman doesn't make any change in AIR,
> Flex will be working more or less, but I dont see it gaining any more users
> as it looks abandoned.

Carlos Rovira
http://about.me/carlosrovira

Re: Future of Flex

Posted by leokan23 <le...@best-web.gr>.
Erik Thomas-3 wrote

Re: Future of Flex

Posted by Carlos Rovira <ca...@apache.org>.
Hi Erik,

My history, although different (of course) is very similar to yours in
terms of background, actual needs and work path, so understand perfectly
what you tell me :)

Let see if more people come to Royale to continue making it bigger. We
don't need to be the next breaking tech. Others like haxe did a great job
with its own passionate users, so I hope we have a sufficiente group of
people interested in making something good and fun.

thanks for your thoughts! :)

--
Carlos Rovira
http://about.me/carlosrovira