Posted to dev@river.apache.org by Peter Firmstone <ji...@zeus.net.au> on 2013/03/07 14:25:40 UTC

Development Progress update.

There are issues with some builds on Hudson, preventing test execution.

Windows: a file can't be deleted in preparation for checkout, preventing
build from executing.
Solaris: BindException socket in use causes numerous test failures
FreeBSD: BindException socket in use, prevents build from executing.
OSX: offline.

Apart from that, the tests are all passing on my Window's PC, Ubuntu x64
and ARM.

I need people who can volunteer to run QA tests!

I wasn't attempting to improve performance, recent bug fixes have
resulted in the qa suite now finishing one hour earlier, which is a 6%
performance increase.

Apart from fixing test failures, I've also used FindBugs to fix:

    * Javaspaces Outrigger: 13 multithreaded correctness bugs.
    * Jini Platform: 5 inconsistent synchronization bugs.
    * Jsk lib: 12 multithreaded correctness bugs.
    * qa test suite: 20 multithreaded correctness bugs.

Now's the time to checkout and run qa tests, then lets kick out a release.

https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/river/jtsk/skunk/qa_refactor/trunk

or

http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/river/jtsk/skunk/qa_refactor/trunk

Regards,

Peter.

Re: Development Progress update.

Posted by Peter Firmstone <ji...@zeus.net.au>.
Cool, Thanks Dennis, Dan & Bryan, we're getting there!

Bryan experienced two test failures on OSX:

com/sun/jini/test/impl/start/CodebaseTest.td

caused by:

    [java] CodebaseTest.run FINE: expected codebase for test service 1 proxy: http://Bryan-Thompson-MacBook-Air.local:9082/qa1-start-testservice1-dl.jar http://Bryan-Thompson-MacBook-Air.local:9082/qa1-start-testservice-common-dl.jar
      [java] CodebaseTest.run FINE: actual codebase for test service 1 proxy: http://bryan-thompson-macbook-air.local:9082/qa1-start-testservice1-dl.jar http://bryan-thompson-macbook-air.local:9082/qa1-start-testservice-common-dl.jar

I've fixed it locally so both codebase strings are normalised, I'll
upload the fix soon.

The other:

com/sun/jini/test/spec/javaspace/conformance/snapshot/SnapshotExpirationNotifyTest.td
      [java] Test Failed: Test Failed: com.sun.jini.qa.harness.TestException: Not all listeners've got expected number of events.

I'm hoping that this is caused by the following bug I've discovered in com.sun.jini.jeri.internal.mux.StreamConnectionIO

The LinkedList sendQueue access is synchronized with Mux.muxLock,
unfortunately sendQueue's reference was copied to an instance variable
and allowed to escape synchronization, FindBugs wasn't able to find this
one, I had to track it down the old way, it caused the following test to
fail on sparc:

com/sun/jini/test/impl/outrigger/matching/StressTestWithShutdown.td
.
I believe I've found the cause, but won't be entirely sure until I run
the tests on the old sparc again (might have to do it remotely, it's
about  180km away).

Anyway basically what appears to be happening is while the contents of
sendQueue are being sent to open a connection to the server, other tasks
are writing to the sendQueue, so the server on occassion ends up getting
some other garbled  info instead and doesn't respond, leaving the test
hanging.

So I think I've got it this time!

Will commit soon.

Posted by Peter Firmstone <ji...@zeus.net.au>.