Posted to dev@ant.apache.org by Matt Benson <gu...@gmail.com> on 2012/08/20 19:52:19 UTC

deprecations

Hi gang,
  There are lots of methods in Ant's source that have been deprecated
since e.g. v1.6.  Does anyone object to removing deprecated methods
for Ant 1.9?

Matt

Re: deprecations

Posted by Maarten Coene <ma...@yahoo.com>.
I agree with Peter.
I think it's important that older 3th party tasks keep working with 1.x releases of Ant.

Maarten

________________________________
Posted by Peter Reilly <pe...@gmail.com>.

Re: deprecations

Posted by Matt Benson <gu...@gmail.com>.
Hi Peter,

Re: deprecations

Posted by Peter Reilly <pe...@gmail.com>.

RE: deprecations

Posted by Martin Gainty <mg...@hotmail.com>.
Hi Matt

Re: deprecations

Posted by Jesse Glick <jg...@cloudbees.com>.
On 08/20/2012 01:52 PM, Matt Benson wrote:
> There are lots of methods in Ant's source that have been deprecated since e.g. v1.6.  Does anyone object to removing deprecated methods for Ant 1.9?

I think OK so long as you are talking about members in the Java API - I guess we are still keeping compatibility for deprecated task names and attributes.

We could probably remove things deprecated in 1.7 as well, since anyone using 1.8.x would have already seen the deprecation warnings, but up to you.

Lots of things are marked deprecated but do not mention since when; that needs to be corrected if they are retained.

I note with amusement that there are several @deprecated private members. If something is private you do not need to deprecate it - just delete it right away!

Make a record in the incompatible changes section of WHATSNEW of course.