Posted to proton@qpid.apache.org by Ted Ross <tr...@redhat.com> on 2012/12/18 00:08:25 UTC

Contrib under proton-c?

We've added a contrib directory under proton-j.  Does anyone object to
putting one in the proton-c directory as well?

-Ted

Re: Contrib under proton-c?

Posted by Hiram Chirino <hi...@hiramchirino.com>.
+1

--

**

*Hiram Chirino*

*Engineering | Red Hat, Inc.*

*hchirino@redhat.com <hc...@redhat.com> | fusesource.com | redhat.com*

*skype: hiramchirino | twitter: @hiramchirino<http://twitter.com/hiramchirino>
*

*blog: Hiram Chirino's Bit Mojo <http://hiramchirino.com/blog/>*

Re: Contrib under proton-c?

Posted by Ted Ross <tr...@redhat.com>.
On 12/18/2012 01:49 PM, Darryl L. Pierce wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 18, 2012 at 09:43:05AM -0500, Ted Ross wrote:
>> Yes, but the content I'm talking about is just libraries (and
>> headers).  Actual applications like routers, proxies, brokers, etc.
>> would live in Qpid.  I can put these libraries in qpid/extras just
>> as easily.  That's why I'm asking the question.
> Are they artifacts that will ship _with_ Proton once they've baked?

That's a good question.  I expect they would be bundled separately from
qpid-proton (i.e. in different RPMs for Fedora for example). The target
audience is, like Proton, developers who wish to use AMQP.  But these
libraries would be used by developers wanting to build
higher-scale/performance intermediaries or clients that need to have
detailed control over the use of the protocol.

I guess it's ambiguous where it should live.  I'm leaning toward just
using Qpid proper.

-Ted

Re: Contrib under proton-c?

Posted by "Darryl L. Pierce" <dp...@redhat.com>.
On Tue, Dec 18, 2012 at 09:43:05AM -0500, Ted Ross wrote:
> Yes, but the content I'm talking about is just libraries (and
> headers).  Actual applications like routers, proxies, brokers, etc.
> would live in Qpid.  I can put these libraries in qpid/extras just
> as easily.  That's why I'm asking the question.

Are they artifacts that will ship _with_ Proton once they've baked?

Delivering value year after year.
http://www.redhat.com/promo/vendor/

Re: Contrib under proton-c?

Posted by Rajith Attapattu <ra...@gmail.com>.
I also think qpid is a better place to host this than proton for the
reasons Rafi as mentioned.

However Qpid is fast becoming a collection of tools that are poorly
organized both on a source code level as well as on the product side.
I don't want to side track this conversation, but wanted to remind
that at some point we need to make an effort to work things at Qpid
level as well.

Rajith

Re: Contrib under proton-c?

Posted by Ted Ross <tr...@redhat.com>.

Re: Contrib under proton-c?

Posted by Rafael Schloming <rh...@alum.mit.edu>.
[...]

--Rafael

Re: Contrib under proton-c?

Posted by Ted Ross <tr...@redhat.com>.

Re: Contrib under proton-c?

Posted by William Henry <wh...@redhat.com>.

Re: Contrib under proton-c?

Posted by Ted Ross <tr...@redhat.com>.

Re: Contrib under proton-c?

Posted by Hiram Chirino <hi...@hiramchirino.com>.
I would imagine it's for handy, non-core library bits.  That proton-dump
guy would seem like a prime candidate to move in there.

--

**

Re: Contrib under proton-c?

Posted by Ted Ross <tr...@redhat.com>.
William,

I see them as places to put new contributions so they can be developed
and evaluated while they look for a more permanent home.

-Ted

Re: Contrib under proton-c?

Posted by William Henry <wh...@redhat.com>.

Re: Contrib under proton-c?