Posted to dev@felix.apache.org by "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org> on 2006/03/31 15:53:16 UTC

Shell GUI and Shell Plugin

Hello everyone,

For Oscar I had some simple GUI shell bundles (Shell GUI and Shell
Plugin) that could be used as an alternative to the text shell. There is
no doubt that the GUI shell was super simplistic (just like the text
shell for that matter), but some people liked it. :-)

I was wondering whether or not people think that these bundles should be
brought into Felix as subprojects or not? Even though they are simple,
they could serve as starting points for people interested in improving
them. I think it seems reasonable. What's the general consensus?

-> richard

Re: Shell GUI and Shell Plugin

Posted by "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>.
Okay, the response was reasonably positive, so I will start moving these
bundles over today.

-> richard

Posted by "John E. Conlon" <jc...@verticon.com>.
I think many people plan to use Felix as both a background service and
to support gui applications. (I  do!)  Having a common felix component
that can be visualized from a gui application that allows the user to
manage the application's plugins (aka bundles) is certainly desirable.

Look how well it works for eclipse!

cheers,
John

Posted by "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>.
Bruno,

Dependency visualization would be very interesting. I already checked in
the Shell GUI bundle yesterday and I will check in the Shell GUI Plugin
bundle today, which includes some simple examples of shell plugins.
Perhaps you could check it out and try to create your app as a plugin.

I will post more info about these after getting them checked in.

-> richard

Posted by "Bruno J. M. Melo" <bj...@dsc.upe.br>.
Hello,

Posted by Eelco Kurvers <ee...@gmail.com>.
Hi Richard.

Posted by Karl Pauls <ka...@gmail.com>.
> I was wondering whether or not people think that these bundles should be
> brought into Felix as subprojects or not? Even though they are simple,
> they could serve as starting points for people interested in improving
> them. I think it seems reasonable. What's the general consensus?
>
> -> richard

+1

I liked it and in my experience it serves as a good starting point for
people that are new to OSGi (e.g., students).

regards,

Karl

--
Karl Pauls
pauls@inf.fu-berlin.de

Re: Shell GUI and Shell Plugin

Posted by Rob Walker <ro...@ascert.com>.
Can I have a TUI please ;)

(I've never really liked GUIs - could never figure what keystrokes to use!)

-- Rob

--

Ascert - Taking systems to the Edge
robw@ascert.com

Re: Shell GUI and Shell Plugin

Posted by st...@insa-lyon.fr.

--
Stephane Frenot - Associate professor |
CITI/INRIA Ares - INSA lyon           | mailto:stephane.frenot@insa-lyon.fr

Re: Shell GUI and Shell Plugin

Posted by Alex Karasulu <ao...@bellsouth.net>.
Richard S. Hall wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> For Oscar I had some simple GUI shell bundles (Shell GUI and Shell
> Plugin) that could be used as an alternative to the text shell. There
> is no doubt that the GUI shell was super simplistic (just like the
> text shell for that matter), but some people liked it. :-)
>
> I was wondering whether or not people think that these bundles should
> be brought into Felix as subprojects or not? Even though they are
> simple, they could serve as starting points for people interested in
> improving them. I think it seems reasonable. What's the general
> consensus?

Sure bring it on.

Alex

Re: Shell GUI and Shell Plugin

Posted by Francesco Furfari <fr...@isti.cnr.it>.
People liked it , a light GUI can be useful for several reasons.
If you open a project perhaps after few revisions you will lost it's
lightness.

BTW I agree with you, for example a graph viewer that reports all the
dependences would be nice to have.

francesco

Posted by Didier Donsez <di...@imag.fr>.
Richard S. Hall a écrit :

> Hello everyone,
>
> For Oscar I had some simple GUI shell bundles (Shell GUI and Shell
> Plugin) that could be used as an alternative to the text shell. There
> is no doubt that the GUI shell was super simplistic (just like the
> text shell for that matter), but some people liked it. :-)
>
> I was wondering whether or not people think that these bundles should
> be brought into Felix as subprojects or not? Even though they are
> simple, they could serve as starting points for people interested in
> improving them. I think it seems reasonable. What's the general
> consensus?
>
> -> richard

Sure
I develop one for the Oscar 1.0.5 GUI
to run Oscar shell command scripts
http://www-adele.imag.fr/~donsez/dev/osgi/scriptplugin/readme.html

Didier

Didier DONSEZ
Laboratoire LSR, Institut Imag, Universite Joseph Fourier
Bat. C, 220 rue de la Chimie, Domaine Universitaire
BP 53, 38041 Grenoble Cedex 9, France
GPS : lat 45°11'38.3"N, lon 05°46'14.7"E, alt 223m
Tel : +33 4 76 63 55 49           Fax : +33 4 76 63 55 50
mailto:Didier.Donsez@imag.fr