Posted to legal-discuss@apache.org by Kasper Sørensen <ka...@pumpkins.dk> on 2008/03/28 23:32:38 UTC

Applying the Apache License v2 contributor agreement

Hi Apache Foundation

I've started a project called DataCleaner (www.eobjects.dk/datacleaner)
and applied your Apache License version 2.0.

I'm wondering now because I'm getting new contributors whether or not
the contributor agreement is required or not to comply with the license?
You don't mention the contributor agreement on your Applying the Apache
License page (http://www.apache.org/dev/apply-license.html) and in the
agreement you have available online doesn't seem to be a template like
the license (there's no room for putting in your own organization
instead of "Apache Foundation" etc.).

So in short - Do I need to make every contributor sign the agreement? If
yes, is there a less "snail-mail-ish" way it can be done, for example on
a webpage form?

Best regards,
Kasper Sørensen

[OT] Re: Applying the Apache License v2 contributor agreement

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk>.
On Fri, 2008-03-28 at 16:34 -0700, Matt Benson wrote:
> The various contribution license agreements only apply
> to projects actually hosted at the ASF.  How you
> ensure code provenance on your "Apache License,
> Version 2.0"-licensed project is entirely up to you.

+1

apache doesn't offer official advice on third party use of our license
but here's some comments from me personally...

(i should probably blog them but i've written the email now...)

> --- Kasper Sørensen <ka...@pumpkins.dk> wrote:
>
> > Hi Apache Foundation
> >
> > I've started a project called DataCleaner
> > (www.eobjects.dk/datacleaner)
> > and applied your Apache License version 2.0.
> >
> > I'm wondering now because I'm getting new
> > contributors whether or not
> > the contributor agreement is required or not to
> > comply with the license?

the CLA is not about license compliance but about ensuring that
contributions are underpinned by a strong legal framework

CLAs offer protection against submarine contributions and provide an
audit trail. they offer an alternative to systems such as copyright
assignment and back licensing which achieve similar aims.

some projects use AL2.0 with CLAs based on the ones apache uses, some
with copyright assignment, others without either.

> > You don't mention the contributor agreement on your
> > Applying the Apache
> > License page
> > (http://www.apache.org/dev/apply-license.html) and
> > in the
> > agreement you have available online doesn't seem to
> > be a template like
> > the license (there's no room for putting in your own
> > organization
> > instead of "Apache Foundation" etc.).
> >
> > So in short - Do I need to make every contributor
> > sign the agreement?

it's up to you whether you want to ask (or insist) that contributors
sign agreements with you (or not). having CLAs on file helps with issues
like relicensing but is not essential.

> If
> > yes, is there a less "snail-mail-ish" way it can be
> > done, for example on
> > a webpage form?

depends on the jurisdiction. signed emails containing scanned copies are
often good enough.

- robert

Re: Applying the Apache License v2 contributor agreement

Posted by Matt Benson <gu...@yahoo.com>.
The various contribution license agreements only apply
to projects actually hosted at the ASF.  How you
ensure code provenance on your "Apache License,
Version 2.0"-licensed project is entirely up to you.

Regards,
Matt