Posted to user@struts.apache.org by "Viggio, Alex" <Al...@globalcrossing.com> on 2002/12/22 21:38:14 UTC

RE: [Announce / help] STRUTS - Help needed on open source project

Is this a similar effort to JBoss Group? If not, how does it differ (given
their for profit angle to Open Source which works for me if it is backed up
with solid LGPL open source software like JBoss ;)

- Alex

Posted by Harshal D <em...@yahoo.com>.
To All,

Thanks a lot for your support, we have enough contributors for the STRUTS work.

Being said that we would certainly appreciate any feedback / help / suggestions.

Now to answer your question, Alex, please check out :

http://www.theopenstack.com/main/index.php?topic=faq

Basically we are not developing software. We are just building �demo apps�, quick-starts, tutorials and documentation around a pre-defined Stack. Our goal is get Enterprise IT developers (many of them are NOT  computer science majors) to use the open source tools, by quickly getting them started. Once a smart person starts using a tool, he/she can figure out the rest by visiting the individual community websites.

Our website is not for profit, but that does not stop you from using this for commercial purpose. Our contributors can list their (or their organization�s ) details for consulting / support work.

 Now comparing with Jboss, for �thin� application that just provide a �common� layer on top of various back-end systems, an EJB container may not be needed. OpenStack addresses those apps as well. For other �heavy� apps we use Jboss as the EJB container.

We can not and will not replace Jboss  - documentation. We will only provide a quick-start and some demos / templates. Jboss documentation may not focus on Netbeans/ STRUTS , Ant etc., they may not differentiate tasks based on roles (a typical enterprise IT team need), but we do.

Hope this clarifies any doubts. Please send me an email directly at emailtoharshal@yahoo.com
 "Viggio, Alex" <Al...@globalcrossing.com> wrote:Is this a similar effort to JBoss Group? If not, how does it differ (given