Posted to dev@pulsar.apache.org by Yu <li...@apache.org> on 2022/04/21 09:00:32 UTC

Enable GitHub Discussions?

Hi Pulsarers,

Recently, we've found that many open source communities use GitHub
Discussions to facilitate effective communication, such as users can ask
questions, share ideas, and build connections with each other easily [1].

GitHub Discussions is designed to:

- Provide centralized community space for conversations and questions (and
make the lives of maintainers easier when it comes to issues and pull
requests).

- Create a place for newcomers and non-code collaborators to participate in
a larger community.

- Highlight project contributors to help develop the next generation of
maintainers.

And it is different from GitHub Issue by providing more functions for
conversations, questions, and community engagement. You can check all
details here [2].

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Do we want to enable the GitHub Discussions in Pulsar?

Feel free to comment, thank you!

[1]
https://github.blog/2022-01-13-how-five-open-source-communities-are-using-github-discussions/
[2] https://resources.github.com/devops/process/planning/discussions/

Anonymitaet

Re: Enable GitHub Discussions?

Posted by tison <wa...@gmail.com>.
If we can bring GitHub Discussions threads to dev@ or users@ (by
categorized), it won't affect workflow based on mailing list.

Basically, you can discuss via GitHub Discussion by emails.

Best,
tison.

Dianjin Wang <dj...@streamnative.io.invalid> 于2022年4月21日周四 21:43写道:

Posted by tison <wa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Dianjin Wang <dj...@streamnative.io>.

Posted by Dianjin Wang <dj...@streamnative.io.INVALID>.

Posted by Enrico Olivelli <eo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Enrico Olivelli <eo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.
On 2022-04-25 12:34, Yu wrote:
>> Another important part of The Apache Way is to make decisions by
>> reaching
> consensus (and avoiding votes).
>
> But the Apache Website says "one of the fundamental aspects of
> accomplishing things within the Apache framework is doing so by
> consensus,
> we need a way to tell whether we have reached consensus. We do this by
> voting."  [1] — which means we make decisions by voting, correct?
>
> [1] https://www.apache.org/foundation/voting.html

Not necessarily... Many communities use "Lazy Consensus", meaning "I
will do this..." announcement (or even "I have done this...") and go
ahead with it UNLESS someone raises a concern. This typically works
well, if the community is reasonably well-aligned with the vision and
path forward.

Niclas

Re: Enable GitHub Discussions?

Posted by Yu <li...@apache.org>.
Hi Dave,

Thanks for your suggestions!

1. Using GitHub Discussions does not mean abandoning Google Docs, we can
use both and leverage both advantages.

2. One question on this:

Posted by Yu <li...@apache.org>.
Hi Dave,

Posted by Dave Fisher <wa...@apache.org>.
Hi Yu,

> On Apr 21, 2022, at 11:46 PM, Yu <li...@apache.org> wrote:
>
> Thanks all!
>
> I understand that we need to follow the Apache way (If it didn’t happen on
> the mailing list, it didn’t happen) to *make final decisions*, but we can
> find a better place to *discuss issues and reuse information effectively*
> [1].

Another important part of The Apache Way is to make decisions by reaching consensus (and avoiding votes). [3]

Posted by Dave Fisher <wa...@apache.org>.
Hi Yu,

Posted by Yu <li...@apache.org>.
Thanks all!