Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by mck <mc...@apache.org> on 2010/12/30 10:57:44 UTC

nodetool can't jmx authenticate...

I'm starting cassandra-0.7.0-rc3 with jmx secured by adding JAVA_OPTS
 -Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.password.file=/somepath/jmxpassword

But then i can't use nodetool since it dumps

> Exception in thread "main" java.lang.SecurityException: Authentication failed! Credentials required
> 	at com.sun.jmx.remote.security.JMXPluggableAuthenticator.authenticationFailure(JMXPluggableAuthenticator.java:193)
> 	at [snip]
> 	at org.apache.cassandra.tools.NodeProbe.connect(NodeProbe.java:118)

Adding "-Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.password.file" to nodetool doesn't help...

Is there any support for nodetool to connect to a password authenticated jmx service?

~mck

--
"There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is
a miracle. The other is as if everything is." Albert Einstein

Re: nodetool can't jmx authenticate...

Posted by mck <mc...@apache.org>.
On Thu, 2010-12-30 at 08:03 -0600, Jonathan Ellis wrote:
> We don't have any explicit code for enabling that, no.

the patch was simple (NodeCmd and NodeProbe). just testing it now...

~mck

--
"I'm not one of those who think Bill Gates is the devil. I simply
suspect that if Microsoft ever met up with the devil, it wouldn't need

Posted by Jonathan Ellis <jb...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Dec 30, 2010 at 3:57 AM, mck <mc...@apache.org> wrote:
> Adding "-Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.password.file" to nodetool doesn't help...
>
> Is there any support for nodetool to connect to a password authenticated jmx service?

I'm kind of disappointed that adding the -D password file doesn't Just
Work.  We don't have any explicit code for enabling that, no.

--
Jonathan Ellis
Project Chair, Apache Cassandra