Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Eric Barnhill <er...@gmail.com> on 2019/06/13 17:29:30 UTC

[git] please avoid force pushes

Apologies if everyone knows this but...

There has been some force pushing in the git repos lately. Unfortunately
there are a lot of Stack Overflow answers that will tell the user to solve
a complex commit situation by force pushing. These answers are just
*wrong*. By the nature of our code it is being used by more than one
pseron, and therefore force pushing should never happen. There is always a
better way.

If your commit situation gets complex, consider starting a new branch. You
can then push it without conflicts, and you can probably PR over your
master or develop branch without rewriting any history. If that still
doesn't solve your problem, you can ask here or DM me on the ASF Slack.

I am only miiltant on this because I once created pandemonium early in my
new job by force pushing after Stack Overflow suggested it. Fortunately we
recovered and I was not fired. Just say no to push -f. :)

Re: [git] please avoid force pushes

Posted by Pascal Schumacher <pa...@gmx.net>.
Am 13.06.2019 um 19:29 schrieb Eric Barnhill:
> Apologies if everyone knows this but...
>
> There has been some force pushing in the git repos lately. Unfortunately
> there are a lot of Stack Overflow answers that will tell the user to solve
> a complex commit situation by force pushing. These answers are just
> *wrong*. By the nature of our code it is being used by more than one
> pseron, and therefore force pushing should never happen. There is always a
> better way.
+1