Posted to users@solr.apache.org by Surya R <su...@gmail.com> on 2022/08/05 20:21:45 UTC

Solr 8.11 ( Queries taking longer to respond on startup)

hi,

We recently migrated from solr 6.x to 8.11.  We reindexed the data on solr
8.11 binaries.

We have a master slave configuration. The indexing happens on the master (
LEADER)and replicates to the slaves ( follower)

We have around 8 cores on each server,  they are like 8 collections,
serving diff needs.

When the solr dameon is restarted, the cores do appear on the admin
console, but when a query is hit against the core immediately, We dont get
a response, it spins for like 20 seconds and then only after i see the
below message in the log, i get the results. Why is it taking longer in
solr 8.x to server the queries after a restart of solr

2022-08-04 06:17:10.764 INFO  (searcherExecutor-38-thread-1-processing-
*x:customer_core*) [   *x:customer_core*] o.a.s.c.SolrCore [
*x:customer_core*]  Registered new searcher autowarm time: 0 ms

This never happened in solr 6.x, when the machine was rebooted/solr process
restarted , the moment the core shows up , it was able to server queries.

in solr 8.11, looks like the behavior changed. Is there a config change in
solrconfig.xml that I need to tweak to make this behavior similar to solr
6.x ?

thank you
Aditya

Re: Solr 8.11 ( Queries taking longer to respond on startup)

Posted by Shawn Heisey <ap...@elyograg.org>.
On 8/5/22 14:21, Surya R wrote:
> When the solr dameon is restarted, the cores do appear on the admin
> console, but when a query is hit against the core immediately, We dont get
> a response, it spins for like 20 seconds and then only after i see the
> below message in the log, i get the results. Why is it taking longer in
> solr 8.x to server the queries after a restart of solr

I would be interested in seeing the entire solr.log file from server
start to successful slow query, to see if there's anything in there that
can say what Solr is doing during that time.

Here is an answer to an almost identical question that covers things I
wouldn't have thought of:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/68709357/why-first-occurrence-of-a-query-takes-more-time-than-the-following-on-solrcloud

Are you in SolrCloud mode?  If so, is there more than one Solr node in
the cluster?  What are the sizes of those 8 cores?  Both on-disk size
and document counts, deleted and max.  What are the total memory and
process memory characteristics of the server? Getting a screenshot of
the processes as described at the following URL could be helpful:

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/solr/solrperformanceproblems#SolrPerformanceProblems-Askingforhelponamemory/performanceissue

Note that the mailing list eats almost all attachments, so you can't
attach the screenshot to an email.  You'll need to put it on a file
sharing site and send us a URL to access it.

Usually upgrading two major versions yields better performance, not
worse.  We need more information to provide an answer.

Thanks,
Shawn