Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Tarun Ramakrishna Elankath <el...@fastmail.fm> on 2002/03/27 09:44:21 UTC

Question on reloading web-applications.

Hi List,
	I know that there are two ways of reloading web-applications in tomcat.
One is to set the reloadable parameter to true in the Context tag. The
other is to use the manager web application that comes with Tomcat.
	Suppose my web-application is on a production server (along with  many
other webapps) and the reloadable parameter is set to false. I realize
however that some jsp/servlet files need some updation. Isn't there any
way to force a reload of my web-application or those files in particular
without bothering the system administrator to access the manager
application and reload my web-app ?
	One way would be provide every user a way to reload their web-application
only, without granting access to the manager application (and thus
without bothering the sys-admin). Or is there a parameter in Tomcat that
checks whether the class files have changes every once in a
time-interval (Caucho Resin provides this option.)
	If no such way is present, could anybody give me some pointers/tips
towards writing some program that would make this possible ?

Any help appreciated,
Tarun

Re: Question on reloading web-applications.

Posted by João Augusto Charnet <jo...@sfw.com.br>.

Dominic Parry wrote:

> > Hi Tarun,
> >
> > >One way would be provide every user a way to reload their web-application
> only, without granting
> >
> > >access to the manager application (and thus without bothering the
> sys-admin). Or is there a parameter
> >
> > >in Tomcat that checks whether the class files have changes every once in
> a time-interval
> >
> > I thought exactly this is what happens if the reloadable parameter is set
> to "true"...
> >
> > If i'm wrong please let me know.
> >
> > Fabian
> >

> Also on this note, does anyone know how to, if possible, add and remove web
> contexts without restarting Tomcat?

With the manager is Tomcat 4.xxx you could do this.

localhost:8080/manager/install?path=CONTEXT_NAME&war=file:/path_to_CONTEXTNAME

to remove a context

localhost:8080/manager/remove?path=CONTEXT_NAME

John.

Posted by Dominic Parry <do...@rucus.ru.ac.za>.

Posted by "Dan K." <da...@YorkU.CA>.
Hi,

IMHO, you wouldn't want to set the reloadable parameter to true in a
production environment as it needlessly adds processing overhead to check
if things have changed.  And at least for me, I've noticed in setting it
to true, after 10-15 reloads of a webapp tomcat would hang on subsequent
requests... Has anyone else encountered this on Windows (NT/2k) by the
way?

Regards,
Dan

Posted by Fabian Sommer <fa...@web.de>.