Posted to dev@trafficserver.apache.org by Leif Hedstrom <zw...@apache.org> on 2019/11/01 13:52:42 UTC

Removing proxy.config. settings for filenames

Hi all,

I’d like to remove all (most?) of the settings that lets you override configuration file names via records.config. We have other means to accomplish this (environment variables / runroot), and, many times, this “feature” has caused problems during upgrades. In addition, debug / warning / error messages often hardocdes these file names, making it even more confusing when debugging issues.

I’ve put up a first cut at this, which eliminates the configuration option for storage.config. The rest would follow a similar pattern. Let me know if you have any concerns about this (but no bike shedding, the color is blue, I repeat, the color is blue!). I want this in for v9.0.0.

Cheers,

— Leif

https://github.com/apache/trafficserver/pull/6106

Re: Removing proxy.config. settings for filenames

Posted by Jason Kenny <jk...@verizonmedia.com.INVALID>.
+1

Posted by Sudheer Vinukonda <su...@yahoo.com>.
+1

Removing collapsed_forwarding plugin for v10.0.0

Posted by Sudheer Vinukonda <su...@yahoo.com>.
 Hi all,
As discussed during the recent Fall ATS Summit (see https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/TS/Presentations+-+2019?preview=/112821251/132320653/Collapsed%20Forwarding%20.pdf ), Thundering Herd/Connection Collapse solution has been reworked and added directly into the ATS core using a combination of Read-While-Retry and Open-Read-Retry features. This feature is now merged to ATS 9 (and likely will also be back ported to ATS 8).
As a result of this evolution, collapsed_forwarding plugin  (https://docs.trafficserver.apache.org/en/latest/admin-guide/plugins/collapsed_forwarding.en.html) is not required any more. We plan to remove this plugin and related configs in ATS 10.0.0.
If you are using this plugin in production, it is encouraged to start migrating to use the core solution (see docs below - note the new mode `5` ) as soon as possible.
https://docs.trafficserver.apache.org/en/latest/admin-guide/files/records.config.en.html#proxy-config-http-cache-open-write-fail-action
- Sudheer

Removing collapsed_forwarding plugin for v10.0.0

Posted by Jason Kenny <jk...@verizonmedia.com.INVALID>.
I should add that the records.cfg is the only current way to load a cfg
file with a different name. The runroot and the env vars only allow us to
point to a different directory with the predefined names.

still +1 for this, however, there might be a functional break for some
people because of this as they depend on file names vs directory locations

Jason

Posted by Sudheer Vinukonda <su...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.
+1