Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Alec Bickerton <al...@minick.ch> on 2007/08/08 17:20:26 UTC

Tomcat native.

Hi,

I've only recently returned to using tomcat since tomcat 4.0.1 and I
note that things have moved on somewhat. I'm currently working with the
Tomcat 5.5.xx line. I would like to know is :

What exactly is the advantage of using the tomcat-native library?

I work with some fairly large Linux cluster, that typically have more
than 2 tomcat instances for physical server. These machines have a large
number of request and use a significant amount of RAM as you'd expect.

The Web page states.
Advanced IO functionality, OS level functionality and Native process
handling .

Which is all very good, but it doesn't tell me what I need to know in
order the convince the people higher up the food chain, to at using it.
 From the testing I've done, performance difference is marginal at best
and memory usage is virtually the same as without.

What real world impact will this have on applications that don't use
OpenSSL, but do need lots of thread and lots of memory.

Regards,
Alec

Re: Tomcat native.

Posted by Filip Hanik - Dev Lists <de...@hanik.com>.
Leon Rosenberg wrote:
> On 8/8/07, Filip Hanik - Dev Lists <de...@hanik.com> wrote:
>
>> Alec Bickerton wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I've only recently returned to using tomcat since tomcat 4.0.1 and I
>>> note that things have moved on somewhat. I'm currently working with
>>> the Tomcat 5.5.xx line. I would like to know is :
>>>
>>> What exactly is the advantage of using the tomcat-native library?
>>>
>> no longer having maxThreads==maxConnections, with the native library you
>> can have more open connections than you have threads in Tomcat
>>

> Can't you do the same with NIO connector without relying on c code?
> Leon

yes, but not in Tomcat 5.5, we don't have the NIO connector until 6

Filip

Re: Tomcat native.

Posted by Leon Rosenberg <ro...@googlemail.com>.

Re: Tomcat native.