Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Dan Poirier <po...@pobox.com> on 2010/04/30 15:43:33 UTC

IDE for Apache HTTP server development?

Does anyone have recommendations for an IDE they use for development on
the server?  Preferably that runs on Mac, or else Linux.

I haven't been a big fan of IDEs, being happy with Emacs for years, but
I've found for Java development, I'm clearly more productive in Eclipse
than Emacs.

So I'm wondering if I'm missing something similar that could be used
when I work on Apache.

Thanks,
Dan

Re: IDE for Apache HTTP server development?

Posted by Dan Poirier <po...@pobox.com>.
On 2010-05-01 at 09:35, Nicholas Sherlock <n....@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 1/05/2010 1:43 a.m., Dan Poirier wrote:
>> Does anyone have recommendations for an IDE they use for development on
>> the server?  Preferably that runs on Mac, or else Linux.
>>
>> I haven't been a big fan of IDEs, being happy with Emacs for years, but
>> I've found for Java development, I'm clearly more productive in Eclipse
>> than Emacs.
>
> Eclipse has CDT, the C/C++ Development Tooling, have you tried that out?

Yes, I should have said.  I tried for a while to get APR to build in
Eclipse, figuring that was a prerequisite for building HTTPD, but never
managed it.  If someone has, I'd love to see their Eclipse project and
other configuration files.

Posted by Nicholas Sherlock <n....@gmail.com>.
On 1/05/2010 1:43 a.m., Dan Poirier wrote:
> Does anyone have recommendations for an IDE they use for development on
> the server?  Preferably that runs on Mac, or else Linux.
>
> I haven't been a big fan of IDEs, being happy with Emacs for years, but
> I've found for Java development, I'm clearly more productive in Eclipse
> than Emacs.
>
> So I'm wondering if I'm missing something similar that could be used
> when I work on Apache.

Eclipse has CDT, the C/C++ Development Tooling, have you tried that out?

Cheers,
Nicholas Sherlock

Re: IDE for Apache HTTP server development?

Posted by Paul Querna <pa...@querna.org>.
On Fri, Apr 30, 2010 at 6:43 AM, Dan Poirier <po...@pobox.com> wrote:
> Does anyone have recommendations for an IDE they use for development on
> the server?  Preferably that runs on Mac, or else Linux.
>
> I haven't been a big fan of IDEs, being happy with Emacs for years, but
> I've found for Java development, I'm clearly more productive in Eclipse
> than Emacs.
>
> So I'm wondering if I'm missing something similar that could be used
> when I work on Apache.

I've just been using Xcode.  I had a script at one time that generated
a xcode project file from a list of files, but now days I just use
`xed` from a terminal to open files to edit:
http://www.devworld.apple.com/mac/library/documentation/Darwin/Reference/ManPages/man1/xed.1.html

you can also xed on a directory to bring up the xcode
directory/project browser thing.

hth,
Paul