Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Chris Cheshire <ya...@gmail.com> on 2021/04/09 19:02:56 UTC

[OT] visualvm time stamps

My googlefu is failing me here.

I am trying to figure out some anomalous database connection behavior in my tomcat web app. I have enabled JMX/RMI and have visualvm running on my local machine.

I found the ability to monitor the active connections as a live chart, and it has an export data function. This export creates a csv with what is supposed to be a time stamp and a count but the time stamp is in a 5.6 format. I have never seen this before. How do I convert this into something normal - millis since epoch or even a human readable ISO format?

Example
44295.607552

Chris

Re: [OT] visualvm time stamps

Posted by Chris Cheshire <ya...@gmail.com>.

> On Apr 12, 2021, at 5:00 PM, Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net> wrote:
>
> Chris,

>>> My googlefu is failing me here.
>>> I am trying to figure out some anomalous database connection behavior in my tomcat web app. I have enabled JMX/RMI and have visualvm running on my local machine.
>>> I found the ability to monitor the active connections as a live chart, and it has an export data function. This export creates a csv with what is supposed to be a time stamp and a count but the time stamp is in a 5.6 format. I have never seen this before. How do I convert this into something normal - millis since epoch or even a human readable ISO format?
>>> Example
>>> 44295.607552
>>> Chris
>> When all else fails ... RTFS
>> So it’s the number of days since 1900.  Why? Because Excel (and Lotus 1-2-3)
>
> Well... they chose to use days-since-epoch and chose a different epoch than you did. Since it's all arbitrary and relative, why is yours better than theirs?

Because it doesn’t include a kludgy bug fix for a broken assumption about leap years and 1900 ;)

In any case, yes it’s just a different epoch. In 20+ years of writing software I have never come across it and was completely baffled at how to make sense of it and my googlefu failed me.

Re: [OT] visualvm time stamps

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.
Chris,

On 4/12/21 12:50, Chris Cheshire wrote:

>> On Apr 9, 2021, at 3:02 PM, Chris Cheshire <ya...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> My googlefu is failing me here.
>>
>> I am trying to figure out some anomalous database connection behavior in my tomcat web app. I have enabled JMX/RMI and have visualvm running on my local machine.
>>
>> I found the ability to monitor the active connections as a live chart, and it has an export data function. This export creates a csv with what is supposed to be a time stamp and a count but the time stamp is in a 5.6 format. I have never seen this before. How do I convert this into something normal - millis since epoch or even a human readable ISO format?
>>
>> Example
>> 44295.607552
>>
>> Chris
>>

> When all else fails ... RTFS
>
> So it’s the number of days since 1900.  Why? Because Excel (and Lotus 1-2-3)

Well... they chose to use days-since-epoch and chose a different epoch
than you did. Since it's all arbitrary and relative, why is yours better
than theirs?

The only thing truly Lotus/Excel-y about this is that they both
implement 1900 as a leap-year (which it isn't).

-chris

Re: [OT] visualvm time stamps

Posted by Chris Cheshire <ya...@gmail.com>.

> On Apr 9, 2021, at 3:02 PM, Chris Cheshire <ya...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> My googlefu is failing me here.
>
> I am trying to figure out some anomalous database connection behavior in my tomcat web app. I have enabled JMX/RMI and have visualvm running on my local machine.
>
> I found the ability to monitor the active connections as a live chart, and it has an export data function. This export creates a csv with what is supposed to be a time stamp and a count but the time stamp is in a 5.6 format. I have never seen this before. How do I convert this into something normal - millis since epoch or even a human readable ISO format?
>
> Example
> 44295.607552
>
> Chris

When all else fails ... RTFS

So it’s the number of days since 1900.  Why? Because Excel (and Lotus 1-2-3)

/facepalm

https://github.com/oracle/visualvm/blob/cbfb4426b25637fb5466705f76271cfcb5209090/plugins/mbeans/src/org/graalvm/visualvm/modules/mbeans/Formatter.java#L125

Re: [OT] visualvm time stamps

Posted by Chris Cheshire <ya...@gmail.com>.

> On Apr 11, 2021, at 12:24 PM, Suvendu Sekhar Mondal <su...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Chris,
>
>> On Sat, Apr 10, 2021 at 12:33 AM Chris Cheshire <ya...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> My googlefu is failing me here.
>>
>> I am trying to figure out some anomalous database connection behavior in my tomcat web app. I have enabled JMX/RMI and have visualvm running on my local machine.
>>
>> I found the ability to monitor the active connections as a live chart, and it has an export data function. This export creates a csv with what is supposed to be a time stamp and a count but the time stamp is in a 5.6 format. I have never seen this before. How do I convert this into something normal - millis since epoch or even a human readable ISO format?
>>
>> Example
>> 44295.607552
>>

> As far as I know, out of the box visualvm(I have 2.0.2) do not have
> any option to export CPU/GC/Heap details. Are you using any plugins to
> export data?

Sorry - using the mbeans plugin. For this example, I am looking at the “active” attribute of a data source. Double click on the value to bring up a real time chart. Right click on the chart and select “save data as ...” to export as a CSV.

Re: [OT] visualvm time stamps

Posted by Suvendu Sekhar Mondal <su...@gmail.com>.
Hi Chris,

Re: [OT] visualvm time stamps

Posted by Felix Schumacher <fe...@internetallee.de>.

Am 9. April 2021 21:02:56 MESZ schrieb Chris Cheshire <ya...@gmail.com>:
>My googlefu is failing me here.
>
>I am trying to figure out some anomalous database connection behavior
>in my tomcat web app. I have enabled JMX/RMI and have visualvm running
>on my local machine.
>
>I found the ability to monitor the active connections as a live chart,
>and it has an export data function. This export creates a csv with what
>is supposed to be a time stamp and a count but the time stamp is in a
>5.6 format. I have never seen this before. How do I convert this into
>something normal - millis since epoch or even a human readable ISO
>format?
>
>Example
>44295.607552

Could it be seconds since start of the jvm? That would mean around 12 h?

Felix