Posted to users@activemq.apache.org by "suraj.prajapati@sterlite.com" <su...@sterlite.com> on 2019/10/16 13:25:18 UTC

ActiveMQ Classic Release flow after ActiveMQ 6 version release

We are building a new product with Event Driven Programming. For That we need
JMS Provider. We compared ActiveMQ Classic and Artemis.
ActiveMQ Official site says
"Once Artemis reaches a sufficient level of feature parity with the 5.x
code-base it will become ActiveMQ 6".

What should be used Artemis or ActiveMQ Classic?
What will happen to ActiveMQ Classic flavor when Artemis will become
ActiveMQ 6?
Will ActiveMQ 6 be compatible with ActiveMQ 5 Classic version?
If we go with ActiveMQ Classic 5 version  and use Network of Brokers, Will
Upcoming version be supporting same feature?

Re: ActiveMQ Classic Release flow after ActiveMQ 6 version release

Posted by mi...@me.com.INVALID.
Hi

Artemis has already a similar feature to network of brokers. Its named federation.

It is nearly now at feature parity, one last ticket feature left is retro active consumers but that should be in next release of Artemis, its currently in PR.

Artemis also has many features not existing in activemq 5. E.g. it supports JMS 2.0.

If the concern is if its prod ready there are many production deployments or Artemis at a range or orgs from financial firms through to some of the largest retailers. Likewise you will find it packaged and supported from some big named vendors which shifted from activemq5 being their base product to activemq artemis.

Best

Mike

Get Outlook for Android

On Wed, Oct 16, 2019 at 5:18 PM +0100, "Jean-Baptiste Onofré" <jb...@nanthrax.net> wrote:

Hi,

Even if it's stated like this on website, I consider ActiveMQ "Classic"
(I don't this name ;)) and Artemis as two different subprojects on the
ActiveMQ umbrella.

It happens a lot at Apache to have several subprojects under the same
"umbrella": Felix, Karaf, ...

Both subprojects are active and maintained, as a community effort.

Regards
JB

On 16/10/2019 15:25, suraj.prajapati@sterlite.com wrote:
> We are building a new product with Event Driven Programming. For That we need
> JMS Provider. We compared ActiveMQ Classic and Artemis.
> ActiveMQ Official site says
> "Once Artemis reaches a sufficient level of feature parity with the 5.x
> code-base it will become ActiveMQ 6".
>
> What should be used Artemis or ActiveMQ Classic?
> What will happen to ActiveMQ Classic flavor when Artemis will become
> ActiveMQ 6?
> Will ActiveMQ 6 be compatible with ActiveMQ 5 Classic version?
> If we go with ActiveMQ Classic 5 version  and use Network of Brokers, Will
> Upcoming version be supporting same feature?

Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org
http://blog.nanthrax.net
Talend - http://www.talend.com

Re: ActiveMQ Classic Release flow after ActiveMQ 6 version release

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Hi,

Posted by Justin Bertram <jb...@apache.org>.
ActiveMQ Artemis already has a significant amount of feature parity with
ActiveMQ 5.x (i.e. "classic"), but the fundamental architecture of both
brokers is quite different so even when Artemis becomes 6 a migration
process will be necessary. Artemis doesn't support the exact same "network
of brokers" feature as 5.x, but you should be able to achieve something
which is essentially equivalent using an Artemis "cluster."

You don't provide much information on which to base a recommendation, but
given this is a new product I would recommend going with Artemis.

Justin

On Wed, Oct 16, 2019 at 10:40 AM suraj.prajapati@sterlite.com <