Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com> on 2006/03/03 05:38:14 UTC

[all] m1->m2 migration

So.... what's the plan?

Currently Brett has the beginnings of a migration (read: all the hard
work) in the commons-sandbox. It looks good, and I'm very impressed
with the apt site system.

Obviously continuing with sandbox makes sense; but how to do it?

If it just got migrated, how long would we need the old maven-1 stuff
to stay? Just long enough for us to vote on a migration?

[csv] is ready to goto m2 only, so should I call a vote on that
individually to remove the m1 stuff. then move onto the next project
etc etc?

Suddenly I'm fired up with energy again, so look out :) My post
csv2svn break seems over.

Hen

Re: [all] m1->m2 migration

Posted by Dion Gillard <di...@gmail.com>.
m2 does have a functioning, released ant plugin, right?

On 3/3/06, Bill Barker <wb...@wilshire.com> wrote:

> As a warning, Gump currently doesn't support M2.  As a result, any project
> that moves to *exclusively* requiring M2 will lose Gump builds (but will
> still get Nagged, unless they change the Gump descriptor :).
>
> "Henri Yandell" <fl...@gmail.com> wrote in message
> So.... what's the plan?
>
> Currently Brett has the beginnings of a migration (read: all the hard
> work) in the commons-sandbox. It looks good, and I'm very impressed
> with the apt site system.
>
> Obviously continuing with sandbox makes sense; but how to do it?
>
> If it just got migrated, how long would we need the old maven-1 stuff
> to stay? Just long enough for us to vote on a migration?
>
> [csv] is ready to goto m2 only, so should I call a vote on that
> individually to remove the m1 stuff. then move onto the next project
> etc etc?
>
> Suddenly I'm fired up with energy again, so look out :) My post
> csv2svn break seems over.
>
> Hen

Chuck Norris sleeps with a night light. Not because Chuck Norris is afraid
of the dark, but because the dark is afraid of Chuck Norris

Re: [all] m1->m2 migration

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.
I've added gump support to some prereqs on the wiki page.

- Brett

Re: [all] m1->m2 migration

Re: [all] m1->m2 migration

Posted by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com>.
On 3/2/06, Dion Gillard <di...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 3/3/06, Brett Porter <br...@apache.org> wrote:
> >
> > If that's the only one, I can take care of that after the sandbox is
> > done. It's a fairly stock report plugin. Of course ,if there are other
> > volunteers, I won't complain :)
> >
> > I would assume it would make sense for this plugin to live in Jelly
> > itself now.
>

> Yep. As would the m1 plugin.

Cool. I'll start recording these on the wiki:

http://wiki.apache.org/jakarta-commons/Maven2MigrationPlan?

Hen

Re: [all] m1->m2 migration

Posted by Dion Gillard <di...@gmail.com>.
On 3/3/06, Brett Porter <br...@apache.org> wrote:

> If that's the only one, I can take care of that after the sandbox is
> done. It's a fairly stock report plugin. Of course ,if there are other
> volunteers, I won't complain :)
>
> I would assume it would make sense for this plugin to live in Jelly
> itself now.

Yep. As would the m1 plugin.

- Brett

Re: [all] m1->m2 migration

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.

Re: [all] m1->m2 migration

Posted by Dion Gillard <di...@gmail.com>.

Re: [all] m1->m2 migration

Posted by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com>.

Re: [all] m1->m2 migration

Posted by Dion Gillard <di...@gmail.com>.

Re: [all] m1->m2 migration

Posted by Rahul Akolkar <ra...@gmail.com>.
On 3/3/06, Dennis Lundberg <de...@apache.org> wrote:
> Rahul Akolkar wrote:
> > Starting afresh, since this is a new question, but the thread may be
> > appropriate.
> >
> > Is the APT format necessary, or can we use xdocs with m2?
>
> M2 supports both formats.
> It also supports the fml format that is used in the m1 faq plugin.
<snip/>

Thanks, good to know :-)

-Rahul

Re: [all] m1->m2 migration

Posted by Dennis Lundberg <de...@apache.org>.

Re: [all] m1->m2 migration

Re: [all] m1->m2 migration

Posted by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com>.
On 3/3/06, Dion Gillard <di...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 3/4/06, Dennis Lundberg <de...@apache.org> wrote:
> >
> > Henri Yandell wrote:
> > > So.... what's the plan?
> > >
> > > Currently Brett has the beginnings of a migration (read: all the hard
> > > work) in the commons-sandbox. It looks good, and I'm very impressed
> > > with the apt site system.
> > >
> > > Obviously continuing with sandbox makes sense; but how to do it?
> > >
> > > If it just got migrated, how long would we need the old maven-1 stuff
> > > to stay? Just long enough for us to vote on a migration?
> >
> > That depends on what our demands are. Do we require that all Maven 2
> > plugins that we use must be released?
>

> +1. Given what I see on a daily basis on the maven users list, using
> anything but a released plugin makes m2 more fragile and unstable.

Very +1. Getting in the situation where people have to do odd things
to build code and site is not something we want to get into again
(it's where we are with m1).

Making it easy for people to get involved needs to be a big priority
for us, else we'll starve; and if we don't make it easy for a new
component to follow the rules and use the same structure, they won't
follow the rules.

Hen

Re: [all] m1->m2 migration

Posted by Dion Gillard <di...@gmail.com>.
On 3/4/06, Dennis Lundberg <de...@apache.org> wrote:

> Henri Yandell wrote:
> > So.... what's the plan?
> >
> > Currently Brett has the beginnings of a migration (read: all the hard
> > work) in the commons-sandbox. It looks good, and I'm very impressed
> > with the apt site system.
> >
> > Obviously continuing with sandbox makes sense; but how to do it?
> >
> > If it just got migrated, how long would we need the old maven-1 stuff
> > to stay? Just long enough for us to vote on a migration?
>
> That depends on what our demands are. Do we require that all Maven 2
> plugins that we use must be released?

+1. Given what I see on a daily basis on the maven users list, using
anything but a released plugin makes m2 more fragile and unstable.

Keep in mind that the entire Maven

Re: [all] m1->m2 migration

Posted by Dennis Lundberg <de...@apache.org>.
Henri Yandell wrote:
> So.... what's the plan?
>
> Currently Brett has the beginnings of a migration (read: all the hard
> work) in the commons-sandbox. It looks good, and I'm very impressed
> with the apt site system.
>
> Obviously continuing with sandbox makes sense; but how to do it?
>
> If it just got migrated, how long would we need the old maven-1 stuff
> to stay? Just long enough for us to vote on a migration?

That depends on what our demands are. Do we require that all Maven 2
plugins that we use must be released? Keep in mind that the entire Maven