Posted to apache-bugdb@apache.org by Todd Stewart <st...@stew.clever.net> on 1997/03/27 20:20:01 UTC

general/274: Web Daemon hangs

>Number:         274
>Category:       general
>Synopsis:       Web Daemon hangs
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
We have 3 machines that host around 500 virtual sites (2 class C's).  We have been running apache 1.1.1
on all of the servers for several months.  I have downloaded, configured, and compiled the 1.2b7 source.
When I enter 249 VirtualHosts or less, all works well.  When I enter 250 VirtualHosts, the browser displays
"document contains no data".  When I enter 251 VirtualHosts, the daemon hangs.
>How-To-Repeat:
Enter 251 Virtualhosts in the httpd.conf and see it happen.
>Fix:
Not reall

Re: general/274: Web Daemon hangs

Posted by Dean Gaudet <dg...@arctic.org>.
Todd, the problem to look for here is how many descriptors you have
available to your processes.  Look at the "limit" command and see what
it says.  Are you running httpd with output directed to /dev/null?
It should be printing an error in this case.  It might also be in the
error_log.

Also, have you changed the config any between 1.1.1 and 1.2b7?  Such as
adding another log directive to each vhost?

Dean