Posted to users@maven.apache.org by bj...@accenture.com on 2007/01/15 09:32:54 UTC

Eclipse:eclipse and multiple modules

Weird shit is happening here.

We have a multiple modules project, which looks like this:

Top project

            |- project-tier

                        |- business tier

                        |- integration tier

                        |- presentation-tier

                                   |- prg 1

                                   |- prg 2

The presentation tier has business tier and integration tier as dependencies.  They are connected with each other through the pom-file.  (The same goes for business and integration).  Each project was generated by Maven.

We've created this setup and until now, we haven't had any problems with that.  But now I ran into something very annoying.  Since this is a multiple module project, it's easy to run the mvn-commands from the top-folder.  So if you run mvn eclipse:clean or mvn eclipse:eclipse, all the necessary project files are created by Maven.  So far, so good.  But now, if I run these commands from the top-folder, the jar-files for business and integration aren't added to the build path in Eclipse for prg1 and prg2.  This is a problem, because if you run them inside Eclipse on Tomcat (they're Struts applications), you get a 404 because the jar-files for business and integration aren't published.  If I run package or install, those dependencies are added to the war-file.

When I run the mvn eclipse:clean and mvn eclipse:eclipse commands in the prg1 or prg2 folder, the jars for business and integration are added to the build path and I can publish it without any problem.

Can anybody explain to me why this doesn't work from the top-folder?  Working with multiple modules is nice because you can run the commands once for each project underneath it, but with this problem that advantage disappears.

Tia

Björn De Bakker

Re: Eclipse:eclipse and multiple modules

Posted by Niels Gylling <ng...@it-practice.dk>.
working as designed -
We had the same problem and created our own multi-project eclipse
generator plugin.

Are there any plans from the maven2 gurus to extend this functionality
to the 'org.apache.maven.plugins' domain?

/Niels