Posted to dev@jackrabbit.apache.org by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com> on 2008/04/17 18:17:12 UTC

jackrabbit-core 1.4.3 release plan

Hi,

There's again a bunch of fixes to jackrabbit-core that I'd like to
push out as a 1.4.3 patch release. The release would be an incremental
patch release like the previous 1.4.1 and 1.4.2 releases. See below
for the list of issues that I'd currently like to include. The list
will likely grow as more suitable fixes get committed to trunk.

Beyond normal bug fixes, we at Day would also like to see a few
re-indexing improvements in a release. This would be in line with the
relaxed release policy adopted for the recent jcr-commons and jcr-rmi
releases. I'm not perfectly happy with this erosion, but it's better
to keep things going rather than block improvements until we get the
component-based release process properly sorted out.

I'll start merging fixes to the 1.4 branch shortly and hope to get the
release out already next week.

Improvements

  [JCR-1326] Log path of missing node when re-indexing fails
  [JCR-1492] Make behaviour configurable when re-indexing detects ...

Bug fixes

  [JCR-1463] Core: Failing version tests (testRestore....)
  [JCR-1476] Restore to base version throws NullPointerException
  [JCR-1481] VersionHistory.removeVersion() does not throw ...
  [JCR-1484] Node.getReferences() does not properly reflect saved but ...
  [JCR-1487] Transient states should be persisted in depth-first traversal order
  [JCR-1491] UUID check in BundleFsPersistenceManager.getListRecursive() ...
  [JCR-1499] Error logged when repository is shut down
  [JCR-1502] Journal log file rotation overwrites old files
  [JCR-1512] Incorrect check for replace when importing item with colliding id
  [JCR-1518] BundleFsPersistenceManager has no property called: minBlobSize
  [JCR-1519] Property.getLength() returns -1 for BOOLEAN, REFERENCE and ...
  [JCR-1532] ERROR 40XD0: Container has been closed exception with Derby DB
  [JCR-1540] BundleDbPersistenceManager.checkConsistency() only fixes ...
  [JCR-1541] Evict fixed NodePropBundle from cache

BR,

Jukka Zitting

Re: jackrabbit-core 1.4.3 release plan

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

On Fri, Apr 18, 2008 at 2:09 AM, Tobias Bocanegra
<to...@day.com> wrote:
>  i will fix those 2 tomorrow:
>
>  JCR-1474 consistency check fails with derbypm if bundle size exceeds 32k
>
> JCR-1541 Evict fixed NodePropBundle from cache
>
>  and may be this one.
>  JCR-1517 Global datastore and namespace index cause problems when
>  migrating workspaces
>
>  so if they look good, maybe we can take them into 1.4.3 as well.

Sounds good.

Posted by Tobias Bocanegra <to...@day.com>.
hi,

--
regards, toby

Posted by Esteban Franqueiro <es...@bea.com>.
Hi Thomas.

Posted by Esteban Franqueiro <es...@bea.com>.
> I will test it and then commit it, but I'm not sure if it makes sense
> to include it in 1.4.3 - I would probably be more confident if this
> patch was committed earlier. On the other hand, I'm not sure how many
> more people would have tested it.

I agree, since I don't think many people tested this patch (actually, anyone but me). As a side
note, we're currently testing our component with this patch included. I'll let you all know our
results.
Anyway, I'm ok with postponing this patch for 1.5/1.4.4/other.
Regards,

Posted by Greg Klebus <gr...@klebus.com>.
Hi Jukka

On Mon, Apr 21, 2008 at 2:11 PM, Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com> wrote:
>  On Fri, Apr 18, 2008 at 12:34 PM, Thomas Mueller
>
> <th...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >  I am integrating the patch for
>  > http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JCR-1388
>  >  (concurrent reads to the database data store)
>  >
>  >  I will test it and then commit it, but I'm not sure if it makes sense
>  >  to include it in 1.4.3 - I would probably be more confident if this
>  >  patch was committed earlier.
>
>  Agreed. I'd rather not have this in 1.4.3, but if there's more demand
>  for it (Greg, others?) I think we could include this along with the
>  indexing improvements.

Being one of the "bad guys" ;) requesting small improvements on the
branch I'm in an awkward position here. But...

I'd second Jukka here and only include this specific enhancement if
there's more specific demand for it. Otherwise, I'd wait until it's
better tested on the trunk, and then backport if needed (a'la 1.3.4).
This way we could keep the branches stable and still be able to
provide useful (i.e., clearly requested) backports.

Cheers
Greg

--
-- Greg Klebus | http://day.com | http://dev.day.com
-- Best open-source JCR repository: http://jacrkabbit.apache.org

Re: jackrabbit-core 1.4.3 release plan

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Thomas Mueller <th...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

I am integrating the patch for
(concurrent reads to the database data store)

I will test it and then commit it, but I'm not sure if it makes sense
to include it in 1.4.3 - I would probably be more confident if this
patch was committed earlier. On the other hand, I'm not sure how many
more people would have tested it.

Regards,
Thomas

Posted by Esteban Franqueiro <es...@bea.com>.
Hi Thomas.

Posted by Thomas Mueller <th...@gmail.com>.
Hi Esteban,

Posted by Alexander Klimetschek <ak...@day.com>.
Hi,

I provided the patch for JCR-1428, but didn't have time yet to merge
it into the 1.4 branch. Would be cool if you could handle that, I
think it's trivial ;-)

And while we are at it: there were also two tests I added for the 1.3
branch, where the first one 1419 depends on the dynamic configuration
I added in 1412. These are probably not suited for 1.4.3 but rather
for the trunk, since these are tests only.

The dynamic configuration should be moved from the test sources to
main, but probably needs some refactoring to make things simpler then
(because I didn't want to touch the original config classes, it has
some overhead):

JCR-1412 [Patch] Java-based test configuration of Jackrabbit (no
repository.xml needed)

Tests:

JCR-1419 Add test for database auto-reconnection
JCR-1420 Add test for Node.restore() may throw InvalidStateException

Regards,
Alex

--
Alexander Klimetschek