Posted to dev@cxf.apache.org by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com> on 2008/04/08 12:57:11 UTC

[DISCUSS] To Ant or not to Ant

Please read Glen Mazza's remarks on CXF-1509 and pipe up. Glen makes a case
for throwing away the ant tasks instead of cleaning up and documenting them,
which is what I started. If the consensus is with Glen, I think that we
should delete them and stick with the use of <java> in the doc.

Re: [DISCUSS] To Ant or not to Ant

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.
It's the 'if' I'm trying to solicit commentary on. I agree with your
statement.

Posted by "Johnson, Eric" <Er...@iona.com>.
If CXF is going to supply Ant tasks, it should make them complete and document them.

Posted by Glen Mazza <gl...@verizon.net>.
Actually, never mind.  I just linked back from the Ant Tasks page to
each of the three tools' pages--this way the Ant Task information does
not need to be duplicated each time for each of the tools.

Glen

Posted by Glen Mazza <gl...@verizon.net>.

Posted by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>.
On Tuesday 08 April 2008, Benson Margulies wrote:
> Please read Glen Mazza's remarks on CXF-1509 and pipe up. Glen makes a
> case for throwing away the ant tasks instead of cleaning up and
> documenting them, which is what I started. If the consensus is with
> Glen, I think that we should delete them and stick with the use of
> <java> in the doc.

The ONLY benefit that pops to mind is to make it easier to migrate folks
from the JAX-WS RI to CXF.   The JAX-WS ri provides some ant tasks and I
believe ours use pretty much the exact same attributes and such so
switching out the ant tasks to the CXF version should be easy.
Wouldn't need to figure out the command line stuff.

Also, there is the minor issue of knowing the exact CXF class that needs
to be called, although they may need to know the exact class name of the
ant task to register it anyway.

--
J. Daniel Kulp
Principal Engineer, IONA

Re: [DISCUSS] To Ant or not to Ant

Posted by Peter Jones <pe...@iona.com>.
Hi there,

On Tue, Apr 08, 2008 at 06:57:11AM -0400, Benson Margulies wrote:
> Please read Glen Mazza's remarks on CXF-1509 and pipe up. Glen makes a case
> for throwing away the ant tasks instead of cleaning up and documenting them,
> which is what I started. If the consensus is with Glen, I think that we
> should delete them and stick with the use of <java> in the doc.

I'd tend to agree with Glen.  I can't really think of any benefit of having
the ant tasks over just launching WSDLToJava with a java ant task.  If there
is anything I'm not thinking of, definitely point it out! :)

Cheers,
Peter

--
Peter Jones