Posted to dev@river.apache.org by Tom Hobbs <tv...@googlemail.com> on 2011/03/29 23:25:33 UTC

Remaining Work For Next Release

Hi guys,

Everything's been a bit quiet recently.  I was just wonder what (if
anything) is left to do for our first post-graduation release.

Cheers,

Tom

Re: Remaining Work For Next Release

Posted by Tom Hobbs <tv...@googlemail.com>.
Firstly, I think if this is a new bug then we shouldn't do a release.  If
it's a newly discovered bug or a well known one then I think that it's
probably okay to.

I know of at least one corporate user who is still on Jini 2.1 and who I'm
encouraging to move to River once the build is made modular (or not) and the
namespace changes are complete.  They use it on Sparc machines, so it would
be important to them.  I can ask if they'd be prepared to let us borrow one
of them, but I wouldn't hold out much hope that they'd be able to.

Thanks for your kind offer, Greg.  I know that Peter has made a similar
offer, but I think he's snowed under with lots of other stuff at the moment.

So besides this Sparc bug, is all the rest of the work complete for the
release?

It's good to start seeing some noise on the list again!

Posted by Greg Trasuk <tr...@stratuscom.com>.

Posted by Dan Creswell <da...@gmail.com>.
Not really the constructive dialog I was after...

On 1 April 2011 20:27, Jason Pratt <jp...@gmail.com> wrote:

> i am stating that the first "graduated" release should work for everyone
> period. after that if you want to release with known bugs and reduce/not

Uh huh - what I can't understand is your logic for why that must be the
case?

> support sparc or whatever other platform you in your infinite wisdom deem

My infinite wisdom? I didn't say I was wise or a know it all.

> irrelevant , great. river should have one release it can point at for
> anyone
> wanting to try/use it.

Why? What would that mean? What does that achieve?

> regarding supporting systems, if ubuntu, amd, redhat, intel, apple, etc.
> don't send you equipment and software to test on, are you going to drop
> support for them as well? doesn't apache have these things internally? have
> you asked?

I was asking questions to encourage discussion of a broader point, not
stating a definitive position:

" I don't see a proper discussion about that balance just...."

Posted by Patricia Shanahan <pa...@acm.org>.
On 4/1/2011 12:27 PM, Jason Pratt wrote:
> i am stating that the first "graduated" release should work for everyone
> period. after that if you want to release with known bugs and reduce/not
> support sparc or whatever other platform you in your infinite wisdom deem
> irrelevant , great. river should have one release it can point at for anyone
> wanting to try/use it.

I don't know whether SPARC is irrelevant or not - that is one of the
questions we are trying to discuss. For admittedly emotional reasons, I
hope it continues to be relevant. I worked for many years designing
SPARC servers for FPS, Cray Research, and Sun Microsystems.

Maybe we'll find the SPARC failure quickly, and it will have a simple
fix. In that case, I'm sure we should include the fix in the next release.

Suppose it does not work out that way. Then we face a trade-off. How
long should we hold up the next release pending a fix for a SPARC-only
problem? Remember that means holding back fixes for bugs that affect all
systems, SPARC included.

You seem to be saying that you think there is no limit on how long we
should hold the release. Is that correct? If so, why?

Patricia

Re: Remaining Work For Next Release

Posted by Peter Firmstone <ji...@zeus.net.au>.
It's worth noting that if a customer wants to deploy River on sparc, it
will be relatively easy for them to do so, they'll be able to take up
the baton, build and run the tests.

Maintaining a sparc development computer takes time and resources, you
need a license and support contract for Solaris, hardware is expensive
and 3rd party vendors non existent or drying up, you can't buy new sparc
workstations either.  I've been waiting 3 years for Sun/Oracle to
realise that workstations are an essential, albeit small market, surely
they could have put an M3000 inside a tower case with 3D ATI graphics
support by now.  In fact if they did that, they'd be able to sell Sparc
Visualisation servers too.  All the other platforms you've mentioned are
readily available.

We don't test on IBM's Power or HP's Itanium architectures, these are
Sparc's competitors.

I think we can get a better bang for buck, testing on other JVM's, like
Apache Harmony, OpenJDK, JRockit and IBM J9 by eliminating our
dependence on proprietary implementation details of Sun's JVM, but we're
not there yet.

River's currently in a refactoring phase, our goal is to make
development more efficient so we can ensure long term survival.  Because
we're all volunteer developers, we need to make it possible to have
smaller develop/test cycles.  We're all very passionate, from many
backgrounds and countries.  We don't always agree on everything and in
fact have more in common even when we do disagree, what matters is that
we respect each others views, if you feel passionate enough about
something, jump in and join in the fun.

Peter.

Posted by Peter Firmstone <ji...@zeus.net.au>.

Posted by Jason Pratt <jp...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Dan Creswell <da...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jason Pratt <jp...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Patricia Shanahan <pa...@acm.org>.

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.
On Wed, Mar 30, 2011 at 5:48 AM, Jason Pratt <jp...@gmail.com> wrote:
> please don't release anything with failures. i've been a big fan/user of
> jini since it was released. now that it is alive again via river, a good
> release history will be key to success/survival

Assume for a second that the failure is related to the SPARC JVM
implementation; For how long do you intend us to hold off a release to
the other 99.9654% of the users, searching for a compatible way to
work around the problem?

Sometimes, "known bugs" are just that. The "unknown bugs" is in most
cases a longer list, and should that also hold off a release until we
find and correct them?

I hope I don't come across as too antagonistic... ;-)  ... just want
to provide some perspective.

Cheers
--
Niclas Hedhman, Software Developer

I live here; http://tinyurl.com/3xugrbk
I work here; http://tinyurl.com/24svnvk
I relax here; http://tinyurl.com/2cgsug

Re: Remaining Work For Next Release

Posted by Jason Pratt <jp...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Patricia Shanahan <pa...@acm.org>.
We have a SPARC-only QA failure that I'm willing to take a look at if
Peter sets up an account for me. Otherwise, I'm looking ahead to work on
fault tolerance.

Patricia