Posted to dev@lucene.apache.org by Steve Rowe <sa...@gmail.com> on 2013/07/08 18:37:09 UTC

4.4 release planning

As I mentioned a week ago, I plan on branching for 4.4 today, likely late in the day (UTC+4).

If all goes well, I'll cut an RC in one week, on July 15th.

Re: 4.4 release planning

Posted by Jack Krupansky <ja...@basetechnology.com>.
+1

-- Jack Krupansky

Re: 4.4 release planning

Posted by Mark Miller <ma...@gmail.com>.
On Jul 9, 2013, at 8:52 AM, "Uwe Schindler" <uw...@thetaphi.de> wrote:

> Until we know *what and *where* the issue is, I see this as blocker.

That code has been running for months in the real world on huge amounts of data for long periods of time with no perm gen issues. It's an issue with the resources required by tests and running the dfs mini cluster and creating so many collections. It's not a blocker.

- Mark

RE: 4.4 release planning

Posted by Uwe Schindler <uw...@thetaphi.de>.
Hi,

Mark created https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-5022

I think at this time it is hard to find out if it’s a serious production issue or just a test issue. The problem is currently that its hard to reproduce consistently and when it reproduces, the JVM is completely dead, not responding to anything (no kill, no debugger attachment, no jmap,...). The issue appears more often with tests.modifier=3, but this is not really telling you "it’s a test relict".

There are no "bad" classloaders involved (I checked the dump, all looks fine, do duplicate classes,...), so it looks like something is creating interned strings all the time, which does not play well with our test infrastructure that runs everything in the same JVM, so interned strings never get cleaned up. A fix would be to create a module for running those tests in good-old one JVM per test suite.

Until we know *what and *where* the issue is, I see this as blocker.

Uwe
-----
Uwe Schindler
H.-H.-Meier-Allee 63, D-28213 Bremen
http://www.thetaphi.de
eMail: uwe@thetaphi.de

Re: 4.4 release planning

Posted by Yonik Seeley <yo...@lucidworks.com>.

Re: 4.4 release planning

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.
Steve:

Re: 4.4 release planning

Posted by Steve Rowe <sa...@gmail.com>.
4.4 branch created.

Re: 4.4 release planning

Posted by Robert Muir <rc...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Jul 8, 2013 at 2:20 PM, Uwe Schindler <uw...@thetaphi.de> wrote:

> Can we fix the permgen problems? To me, this is un-releaseable at current
> stage, the tests hang not only on Jenkins, but locally, too. To me appears
> all vulnerable :(
>
> Robert and me were contacted by Oracle today, if we found new bugs with
> Java 8 because it is now feature-complete and ready to go next stages - and
> I would really like to send them a link to the Jenkins server, but it's all
> red - I would be ashamed showing that to them! To me this looks also not
> good for users.

+1

With tests crashing because of running out of permgen, how could we vote +1
for a release? to me this hints of a serious bug in the codebase. I spent
some time with jvisualvm examining heap dumps, i know Uwe is digging too,
but this really needs to be fixed.

RE: 4.4 release planning

Posted by Uwe Schindler <uw...@thetaphi.de>.

Re: 4.4 release planning

Posted by Shawn Heisey <so...@elyograg.org>.
On 7/8/2013 10:37 AM, Steve Rowe wrote:
> As I mentioned a week ago, I plan on branching for 4.4 today, likely late in the day (UTC+4).
>
> If all goes well, I'll cut an RC in one week, on July 15th.

+1

Let's make sure Solr isn't in a vulnerable position like it was when
4.3.0 was released.  That will naturally be more on the heads of us Solr
devs than the release manager.

Thanks,
Shawn