Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Bhaarat Sharma <bh...@gmail.com> on 2009/05/21 05:25:50 UTC

retrieving data from form that has unknown (changing) number of fields

hi

I have a form that will have varying number of fields inside it.  The number
of fields is generated dynamically and is not always the same.  When I am
submitting this form to my action class, is there a way to get all the
fields back in a systematic manner?  Does struts2 provide any mechanism to
do this? or am i Stuck with the good old fasioned way of naming my fields
with a prefix name and then keep looking for names in forloop untill they
run out.

Thanks!

Re: retrieving data from form that has unknown (changing) number of fields

Posted by Wes Wannemacher <we...@wantii.com>.
On Wednesday 20 May 2009 11:25:50 pm Bhaarat Sharma wrote:
> hi
>
> I have a form that will have varying number of fields inside it.  The
> number of fields is generated dynamically and is not always the same.  When
> I am submitting this form to my action class, is there a way to get all the
> fields back in a systematic manner?  Does struts2 provide any mechanism to
> do this? or am i Stuck with the good old fasioned way of naming my fields
> with a prefix name and then keep looking for names in forloop untill they
> run out.
>
> Thanks!

Put the values in a collection of some sort, then just use indexed names.

For instance -

<s:textfield name="fieldName[0]" ... />
<s:textfield name="fieldName[n]" ... />

then in the page where you want to display the values -

<s:iterator value="fieldName" var="field">
<s:property value="field" />
</s:iterator>

-Wes

--