Posted to dev@forrest.apache.org by Jeff Turner <je...@apache.org> on 2003/02/10 16:19:04 UTC

Forrest 0.4 RC1 release?

Hi,

I've placed distributions of what I've optimistically titled 0.4-RC1 at
http://cvs.apache.org/~jefft/forrest/releases/0.4/

Since 0.3, Forrest has accumulated a number of important bug fixes:

 - Nicola has fixed the bug which made krysalis-site useless for
   multi-level site.xml [1]
 - avalon-site no longer bombs after rendering [2]
 - site.xml-generated menus are now limited to pages in or below the
   current directory.  Eg, see:
   http://forrestbot.cocoondev.org/sites/xml-forrest/community/index.html
 - No more browser quirks mode; apparently this fixes cross-browser
   issues.
 - A <credit role="pdf"> skinconf entry no longer cause a broken image in
   HTML if <url> and <image> are omitted [3]

Plus a number of enhancements (which are why I prefer '0.4' over '0.3.1'):

 - All skins validate as CSS2.
 - book.xml files in subdirectories can now use site: URLs, removing the
   hassle of updating adding/deleting ..'s.
 - Presumably with the ERROR loglevel Forrest no longer generates 150k of
   text per page :)  Actually, ERROR may be a bit too high..
 - Some small PDF improvements.

I am keen to get another release out, because I can feel the pressure
building to upgrade Cocoon, update DTDs, update skins, and otherwise kill
backwards-compat :)

A lot of skin modification has occurred.  Could people please check that
the skins render okay in their browser:

forrest-site skin:
  http://forrestbot.cocoondev.org/sites/xml-forrest/index.html

krysalis-site skin:
  http://forrestbot.cocoondev.org/sites/ws-site/index.html
  http://forrestbot.cocoondev.org/sites/xml-forrest-krysalis/index.html

avalon-tigris skin:
  Only online example is avalon-site, which is currently dying with an
  interesting error:

Setup... done.
Initializing... ready, let's go :-)
  Exception in thread "main" java.lang.StackOverflowError
    at org.apache.cocoon.xml.xlink.ExtendedXLinkPipe.simpleLink(ExtendedXLinkPipe.java:131)
    at org.apache.cocoon.sitemap.LinkTranslator.simpleLink(LinkTranslator.java:84)
    at org.apache.cocoon.xml.xlink.XLinkPipe.startElement(XLinkPipe.java:124)
    at org.apache.cocoon.xml.xlink.ExtendedXLinkPipe.simpleLink(ExtendedXLinkPipe.java:131)
    at org.apache.cocoon.sitemap.LinkTranslator.simpleLink(LinkTranslator.java:84)
    at org.apache.cocoon.xml.xlink.XLinkPipe.startElement(XLinkPipe.java:124)

  Perhaps a self-referencing link?  I've verified that the skin works on
  other sites though.

I'm sure a few small issues will turn up in the next day or so (for
example, krysalis-site internal links still have those generate-id()
fragment identifiers).  Hopefully we can fix these without another RC.

Feedback, thoughts etc. welcome..

--Jeff

[1] http://issues.cocoondev.org/jira/secure/ViewIssue.jspa?key=FOR-29
[2] http://issues.cocoondev.org/jira/secure/ViewIssue.jspa?id=10048
[3] Btw, a useful way to abuse this mechanism is for adding a URL to the
document source in the PDF footer:
<credit role="pdf">
  <name></name>
  <url>http://www.mysite.com/thisfile.pdf</url>
</credit>

Re: Forrest 0.4 RC1 release?

Posted by Nick Chalko <ni...@chalko.com>.
Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:

> Ok then, let's release the baby ASAP! :-)

Please I really want to play with the docbook stuff.

Re: Forrest 0.4 RC1 release?

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.

Jeff Turner wrote, On 11/02/2003 2.09:
> On Tue, Feb 11, 2003 at 12:56:52AM +0100, Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
>>I agree we should release. Just a question. On my HD I have ready the
>>docbook4.1 DTD in catalog, docbook working (not perfect but it renders),
>>and xinclude enabled. These will be needed to render the Avalon site.
>>
>>Now, I don't like tieing (how do you spell it?) a (non)release to a
>>user, so it's not really a necessity. Avaloners ATM are able to get
>>Forrest from CVS.
>>
>>Just wanted to know if others think it's better to release quickly and
>>integrate, or wait a week to put in these things and test a bit.
>

> I'd prefer to release now without docbook, and do some work on
> docbook2document.xsl in CVS before releasing it.  Avalon can always put
> the Docbook DTDs in src/documentation/resources/schema.
 >
> One problem with Docbook support is that it is quite a bit 'looser' than
> doc-v11.  You can do:
>
> <para>
> Here are some features:
> <itemizedlist>
>   <listitem>
>     <para> Blah </para>
>   </listitem>
> </itemizedlist>
> </para>
>
> But in doc-v11 one can't do:

> Here are some features:
> <ul>
>   <li>
>   </li>
> </ul>
>
> Of course, since we don't validate the intermediate doc-v11 XML, this
> won't actually break anything, but it would be nice to fix doc-v11 (see
> etc/DTD_DEFICIENCIES.txt) a bit, and have roughly equivalent data models,
> before loosing Docbook on the world.

Very good point. You are right, we should have equipollent data models
where they have the same functions.

I was not sure because I felt I was missing something, and you have
found a compelling point (thanks :-)

Ok then, let's release the baby ASAP! :-)

             - verba volant, scripta manent -

Re: Forrest 0.4 RC1 release?

Posted by Jeff Turner <je...@apache.org>.

Re: Forrest 0.4 RC1 release?

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.

Jeff Turner wrote, On 10/02/2003 16.19:
> Hi,
>
> I've placed distributions of what I've optimistically titled 0.4-RC1 at
> http://cvs.apache.org/~jefft/forrest/releases/0.4/
>
> Since 0.3, Forrest has accumulated a number of important bug fixes:
> I am keen to get another release out, because I can feel the pressure
> building to upgrade Cocoon, update DTDs, update skins, and otherwise kill
> backwards-compat :)

hehehe

I agree we should release. Just a question. On my HD I have ready the
docbook4.1 DTD in catalog, docbook working (not perfect but it renders),
and xinclude enabled. These will be needed to render the Avalon site.

Now, I don't like tieing (how do you spell it?) a (non)release to a
user, so it's not really a necessity. Avaloners ATM are able to get
Forrest from CVS.

Just wanted to know if others think it's better to release quickly and
integrate, or wait a week to put in these things and test a bit.

I'm fine with either... I always use HEAD ;-)

> A lot of skin modification has occurred.  Could people please check that
> the skins render okay in their browser:

Yup, please do.

> forrest-site skin:
>   http://forrestbot.cocoondev.org/sites/xml-forrest/index.html
>
> krysalis-site skin:
>   http://forrestbot.cocoondev.org/sites/ws-site/index.html
>   http://forrestbot.cocoondev.org/sites/xml-forrest-krysalis/index.html
>
> avalon-tigris skin:
>   Only online example is avalon-site, which is currently dying with an
>   interesting error:
>
> Setup... done.
> Initializing... ready, let's go :-)
>   Exception in thread "main" java.lang.StackOverflowError
>     at org.apache.cocoon.xml.xlink.ExtendedXLinkPipe.simpleLink(ExtendedXLinkPipe.java:131)
>     at org.apache.cocoon.sitemap.LinkTranslator.simpleLink(LinkTranslator.java:84)
>     at org.apache.cocoon.xml.xlink.XLinkPipe.startElement(XLinkPipe.java:124)
>     at org.apache.cocoon.xml.xlink.ExtendedXLinkPipe.simpleLink(ExtendedXLinkPipe.java:131)
>     at org.apache.cocoon.sitemap.LinkTranslator.simpleLink(LinkTranslator.java:84)
>     at org.apache.cocoon.xml.xlink.XLinkPipe.startElement(XLinkPipe.java:124)
>
>   Perhaps a self-referencing link?  I've verified that the skin works on
>   other sites though.

I get it too, but it's not a skin issue, it does it on forrest-site skin
too.  %-)

Re: Forrest 0.4 RC1 release?

Posted by Steven Noels <st...@outerthought.org>.
Jeff Turner wrote:

> A lot of skin modification has occurred.  Could people please check that
> the skins render okay in their browser:

the navigation on
http://forrestbot.cocoondev.org/sites/xml-forrest/community/howto/cvs-ssh/howto-cvs-ssh.html
is looking kinda funny in all skins - by design, of course

I am lost in the middle of something else, but maybe we should correct
this before RC'en release 0.4

</Steven>
stevenn at outerthought.org                stevenn at apache.org