Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Michael McElligott <mi...@liquidplanet.com> on 2001/04/06 11:17:06 UTC

aaargh!

Okay, so I want to hook up apache with Tomcat on my development box (win98).  So I read server.xml, and it tells me I need to make these modifications to httpd.conf.  Then it says: here's how you make mod_webapp.so.

Of course, to make mod_webapp.so, I need make, right?  And since I'm on 98, I don't have it.  That's aside from the fact that I need a compiler (I'm thinking gcc, right?).

So I download gcc.  It has to be made as well.  From the documentation that I went through, looks like it encourages you to start with Visual C++.  I don't *have* Visual C++.  I'm a java guy.  I was very happy to leave pointers at school and go to a nice warm everything-done-for-you Java world.  So then I think, well I guess I need to get make anyway (regardless of the VC++ question).  Make has to be made too.  Hmm..

So I spot something called egcs at one point and for some reason think it's an executable that will run on Intel hardware.  Wrong.  Doesn't support windows at this time.

The point of this rant is not (as you might think) that the universe needs to satisfy me.. it's just that I'm a little concerned that I need to go buy a Microsoft product to get open source software to run on my machine..

Just ranting at 2:15...

Mike

P.S.  I do have VC around here somewhere, but I imagine lots of folks don't.. how do they get everything set up, without having to guy buy VC++?

P.P.S.  I suppose the easy answer would be to download Red Hat, huh? ;)

RE: aaargh!

Posted by Sandy McPherson <al...@webmind.nl>.
Once you have cygwin32 (with gcc-2.95) and you can get the ant environment
variables sorted out using the apache/tomcat combo is a piece of cake. There
are also cygwin versions of SSL out there, if you just look...
http://sources.redhat.com/cygwin/
Sandy

Re: aaargh!

Posted by David Crooke <da...@convio.com>.
Horses for courses......

RE: aaargh!

Posted by Danny Angus <da...@thought.co.uk>.
>The point of this rant is not (as you might think) that the universe needs
to satisfy me.. it's just that I'm a little
>concerned that I need to go buy a Microsoft product to get open source
software to run on my machine..

I agree with this guy, VC++ seems a bit of a strange recommendation,
understandable in that it is the authoritative compiler for Windows, but
sits uneasily with the philosophy, and.. are non developers going to pay out
that much just to compile a slightly non-centered version of apache?

I'm not ranting, just curious.