Posted to dev@struts.apache.org by Wes Wannemacher <we...@wantii.com> on 2009/06/22 23:50:59 UTC

Struts 2.1.7 Vote

The Struts 2.1.7 test build is now available.

Release notes:
* [http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/WW/Version+Notes+2.1.7]

Maven 2 staging repository:
* [http://people.apache.org/builds/struts/2.1.7/m2-staging-repository/]

Once you have had a chance to review the test build, please respond
with a vote on its quality:

[ ] Leave at test build
[ ] Alpha
[ ] Beta
[ ] General Availability (GA)

Everyone who has tested the build is invited to vote. Votes by PMC
members are considered binding. A vote passes if there are at least
three binding +1s and more +1s than -1s.

The vote will remain open for at least 72 hours, longer upon request.
A vote can be amended at any time to upgrade or downgrade the quality
of the release based on future experience. If an initial vote
designates the build as "Beta", the release will be submitted for
mirroring and announced to the user list. Once released as a public
beta, subsequent quality votes on a build may be held on the user
list.

As always, the act of voting carries certain obligations. A binding
vote not only states an opinion, but means that the voter is agreeing
to help do the work

In addition to the normal info above, I also want to add that I made
the distro available for easy testing through the struts zone. If you
point your browser here -

http://struts.zones.apache.org/

You can test our reference apps on both tomcat and jetty.

Thanks for your help!

-Wes

--
Wes Wannemacher
Author - Struts 2 In Practice

Re: Struts 2.1.7 Vote

Posted by Dale Newfield <da...@newfield.org>.

http://commons.apache.org/io/upgradeto1_4.html says:

> Compatibility with 1.3.2
> ------------------------
> Binary compatible - Yes
>
> Source compatible - Yes
>
> Semantic compatible - Yes
>   Check the bug fixes section for semantic bug fixes
>
> Commons IO 1.4 introduces four new implementations which depend on JDK 1.4 features
> (CharSequenceReader, FileWriterWithEncoding, IOExceptionWithCause and RegexFileFilter).
> It has been built with the JDK source and target options set to JDK 1.3 and, except for
> those implementations, can be used with JDK 1.3 (see IO IO-127).

So while I've not yet tested it, it sounds like we should be able to
jump to 1.4 if we're moving at all.

-Dale

Re: Struts 2.1.7 Vote

Posted by Wes Wannemacher <we...@wantii.com>.
On Tue, Jun 23, 2009 at 4:13 AM, Al Sutton<al...@funkyandroid.com> wrote:
> A few things I've noticed (not hugely important, but may raise some end user questions);
>
> ** Upgrade issues **
>
> My project uses -codebehind-plugin, -core, -rest-plugin, -sitemesh-plugin. After the upgrading just the jars I get;
>
> Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: org.apache.struts2.rest.handler.MultipartFormDataHandler from;

[...]

I think this needs looked into, the rest-showcase on the zone doesn't
load because of this problem. I did change the handling in Dispatcher
for how struts deals with multipart submissions. Prior, the handler
was injected by type. I added a little logic to read a constant, then
inject the handler by the name of the constant. I don't know if I will
have time to look at this today, and I'm not familiar with the
rest-plugin. The full exception/stacktrace is pasted below -

SEVERE: Dispatcher initialization failed
Unable to load configuration. - bean -
jar:file:/local/appservers/tomcat/apache-tomcat-5.5.27/webapps/tomcat-5-5-27-java5-struts2-re
st-showcase/WEB-INF/lib/struts2-rest-plugin-2.1.7.jar!/struts-plugin.xml:39:163
        at com.opensymphony.xwork2.config.ConfigurationManager.getConfiguration(ConfigurationManager.java:58)
        at org.apache.struts2.dispatcher.Dispatcher.init_PreloadConfiguration(Dispatcher.java:374)
        at org.apache.struts2.dispatcher.Dispatcher.init(Dispatcher.java:418)
        at org.apache.struts2.dispatcher.ng.InitOperations.initDispatcher(InitOperations.java:69)
        at org.apache.struts2.dispatcher.ng.filter.StrutsPrepareAndExecuteFilter.init(StrutsPrepareAndExecuteFilter.java:51)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterConfig.getFilter(ApplicationFilterConfig.java:221)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterConfig.setFilterDef(ApplicationFilterConfig.java:302)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterConfig.<init>(ApplicationFilterConfig.java:78)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.filterStart(StandardContext.java:3635)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.start(StandardContext.java:4222)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.addChildInternal(ContainerBase.java:760)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.addChild(ContainerBase.java:740)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHost.addChild(StandardHost.java:544)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.deployWAR(HostConfig.java:831)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.deployWARs(HostConfig.java:720)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.deployApps(HostConfig.java:490)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.check(HostConfig.java:1218)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.lifecycleEvent(HostConfig.java:293)
        at org.apache.catalina.util.LifecycleSupport.fireLifecycleEvent(LifecycleSupport.java:120)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.backgroundProcess(ContainerBase.java:1306)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase$ContainerBackgroundProcessor.processChildren(ContainerBase.java:1570)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase$ContainerBackgroundProcessor.processChildren(ContainerBase.java:1579)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase$ContainerBackgroundProcessor.run(ContainerBase.java:1559)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:595)
Caused by: Unable to load bean:
type:org.apache.struts2.rest.handler.ContentTypeHandler
class:org.apache.struts2.rest.handler.Multip
artFormDataHandler - bean -
jar:file:/local/appservers/tomcat/apache-tomcat-5.5.27/webapps/tomcat-5-5-27-java5-struts2-rest-showcase
/WEB-INF/lib/struts2-rest-plugin-2.1.7.jar!/struts-plugin.xml:39:163
        at com.opensymphony.xwork2.config.providers.XmlConfigurationProvider.register(XmlConfigurationProvider.java:221)
        at org.apache.struts2.config.StrutsXmlConfigurationProvider.register(StrutsXmlConfigurationProvider.java:101)
        at com.opensymphony.xwork2.config.impl.DefaultConfiguration.reloadContainer(DefaultConfiguration.java:169)
        at com.opensymphony.xwork2.config.ConfigurationManager.getConfiguration(ConfigurationManager.java:55)
        ... 23 more
org.apache.struts2.rest.handler.MultipartFormDataHandler
        at org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader.loadClass(WebappClassLoader.java:1386)
        at org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader.loadClass(WebappClassLoader.java:1232)
        at com.opensymphony.xwork2.util.ClassLoaderUtil.loadClass(ClassLoaderUtil.java:146)
        at com.opensymphony.xwork2.config.providers.XmlConfigurationProvider.register(XmlConfigurationProvider.java:192)
        ... 26 more
Jun 19, 2009 8:19:42 PM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext start
SEVERE: Error filterStart
Jun 19, 2009 8:19:42 PM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext start
SEVERE: Context [/tomcat-5-5-27-java5-struts2-rest-showcase] startup
failed due to previous errors

-Wes

RE: Struts 2.1.7 Vote

Posted by Al Sutton <al...@funkyandroid.com>.
It was switched to codebehind in 2.1.3, that was the joy I had with the last release series :).

Al.

--

* Written an Android App? - List it at http://andappstore.com/ *

======
company number  6741909. The registered head office is Kemp House,
152-160 City Road, London,  EC1V 2NX, UK.

subsidiaries.

> My project uses -codebehind-plugin, -core, -rest-plugin,

Doesn't REST depend on convention? I'd be wary of using codebehind
alongside convention/rest (plus codebehind is deprecated).

Dave

Re: Struts 2.1.7 Vote

Posted by Dave Newton <ne...@yahoo.com>.

Re: Struts 2.1.7 Vote

Posted by GF <ga...@gmail.com>.
I'm running Struts 2.1.6 on freemarker 2.3.15 since january and seems ok.

RE: Struts 2.1.7 Vote

Posted by Rainer Hermanns <he...@aixcept.de>.
Al,

Sitemesh 2.4.2 was released via the OpenSymphony maven repository.
So, this is an official release, but it was never announced on the
OpenSymphony site, but on Joe Walnes blog [1].
I did the maven repository push from the tagged sources for Sitemesh,
so this shouldn't require further explanations.

Regarding some of the other jars, some updates should be useful:

commons-collections-3.2.1
- works without problems for me

commons-lang-2.4
- no problems encountered as well

commons-logging-1.0x
- using 1.1.1 for a long time now with s2 apps without problems

freemarker-2.3.15
- Sound like a good improvement, but we need to test this properly.

cheers,
Rainer

[1] http://joewalnes.com/2009/04/17/running-sitemesh-on-appengine/

> A few things I've noticed (not hugely important, but may raise some end
> user questions);
>
> ** Upgrade issues **
>
> My project uses -codebehind-plugin, -core, -rest-plugin, -sitemesh-plugin.
> After the upgrading just the jars I get;

> org.apache.struts2.rest.handler.MultipartFormDataHandler from;
>
> struts2-rest-plugin-2.1.7.jar!/struts-plugin.xml:39:163
>
> Does the rest plugin config file need updating to handle the new pluggable
> infrastructore for the Multipart Request handler (as mentioned in the
> release notes)?
>

> ** Out of date jars (newer versions may have bug fixes which would be
> useful) **
>
> antlr-2.7.2 (latest in 2.x branch is 2.7.7, latest is 3.1.3)
> commons-collections-3.2 (latest is 3.2.1 which is just 3.2 repackage with
> OSGi meta data so may not be useful).
> commons-io-1.3.2 (There is a 1.4, but I'm not sure of API compatibility).
> commons-lang-2.3 (latest is 2.4, I've been using 2.4 with s2.1.6 without
> problems)
> commons-logging-1.0x (Latest is 1.1.1, I've been using 1.1.1 with s2.1.6
> without problems)
> freemarker-2.3.13 (Latest is 2.3.15)
>

> ** Apparently unreleased jars (might need a note to explain where they've
> come from) **
>
> sitemesh-2.4.2 (latest from sitmesh site is 2.4.1)
>

> Hope this is useful,
>
> Al.
>
> --
>
> * Written an Android App? - List it at http://andappstore.com/ *
>
> ======
> Funky Android Limited is registered in England & Wales with the
> company number  6741909. The registered head office is Kemp House,
> 152-160 City Road, London,  EC1V 2NX, UK.
>
> The views expressed in this email are those of the author and not
> necessarily those of Funky Android Limited, it's associates, or it's
> subsidiaries.

Rainer Hermanns
aixcept
Willibrordstraße 82
52134 Herzogenrath - Germany
w: http://aixcept.de/
t: +49 - 2406 - 979 22 11
f: +49 - 2406 - 979 22 13
m: +49 - 170 - 343 29 12

Re: Struts 2.1.7 Vote

Posted by Musachy Barroso <mu...@gmail.com>.
I will try to get this in:

http://jira.opensymphony.com/browse/XW-703

at least add a flag to disable the cache. I can't think of any other solution.

musachy

Re: Struts 2.1.7 Vote

Posted by Musachy Barroso <mu...@gmail.com>.
I changed the ASM deps to optional in xwork, did you get to fix the REST thingy?

Re: Struts 2.1.7 Vote

Posted by Wes Wannemacher <we...@wantii.com>.

Re: Struts 2.1.7 Vote

Posted by Rainer Hermanns <he...@aixcept.de>.
Wes,

Re: Struts 2.1.7 Vote

Posted by Wes Wannemacher <we...@wantii.com>.
Oh crap, I think I get it now...

Re: Struts 2.1.7 Vote

Posted by Wes Wannemacher <we...@wantii.com>.
I don't think I forgot... ->

Re: Struts 2.1.7 Vote

Posted by Musachy Barroso <mu...@gmail.com>.

RE: Struts 2.1.7 Vote

Re: Struts 2.1.7 Vote

Posted by Musachy Barroso <mu...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Jun 22, 2009 at 2:27 PM, Dale Newfield<da...@newfield.org> wrote:
> Matt Raible <ma...@raibledesigns.com> wrote:
>>
>> Release Notes 2.1.6 is an invalid link on the Version Notes page.
>
> And the "Struts 2.1.7 DONE" link.

Fixed

Re: Struts 2.1.7 Vote

Posted by Dale Newfield <da...@newfield.org>.