Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Wendy Smoak <ja...@wendysmoak.com> on 2004/10/30 01:27:28 UTC

Trouble on HP-UX, 1.2.4 & 1.2.5 FileNotFoundException in commons-validator.jar

Last month, I reported a problem deploying a webapp using 1.2.4 to HP-UX.
It works fine on Windows.  I dropped back to 1.2.0 and promptly forgot about
it.  Sometime later I wondered why I wasn't using the new version, moved to
1.2.4 and used a few of the new things.  Then I tried to deploy it to HP-UX
again.  Uh oh.

Here's what happens (from the log file):

16:03:09,616 - INFO org.apache.struts.validator.ValidatorPlugIn - Loading
validation rules file from '/WEB-INF/validator-rules.xml'

16:03:09,618 - INFO org.apache.struts.validator.ValidatorPlugIn - Loading
validation rules file from '/WEB-INF/validation.xml'

16:03:09,737 - ERROR org.apache.struts.validator.ValidatorPlugIn - JAR entry
org/apache/commons/validator/resources/validator_1_1_3.dtd not found in
/opt/hpws/tomcat/webapps/benauth-test/WEB-INF/lib/commons-validator.jar
java.io.FileNotFoundException: JAR entry
org/apache/commons/validator/resources/validator_1_1_3.dtd not found in
/opt/hpws/tomcat/webapps/benauth-test/WEB-INF/lib/commons-validator.jar

I have no idea what it's talking about... that file is there, and the dtd is
inside it:

$ pwd
/opt/hpws/tomcat/webapps/benauth-test/WEB-INF/lib

$ ll commons-validator.jar
-rw-------   1 www        other        84260 Oct 29 16:02
commons-validator.jar

$ jar -tvf commons-validator.jar | grep validator_1_1_3.dtd  11032 Wed Jun
23 19:59:16 GMT-07:00 2004
org/apache/commons/validator/resources/validator_1_1_3.dtd

Realizing that Friday afternoon is the absolute worst time to ask a
question... does anyone have any idea what's wrong?  This happens with 1.2.4
and 1.2.5, but not 1.2.0.  I can't drop back this time, I'm already using
new features.  And besides I don't want to drop back.

The only possible strangeness I saw was an "old" commons-lang.jar file
hanging around.  Looks like it was part of the struts-1.1 distribution but
not anything after that.  I removed it but the behavior continues.

I've re-downloaded 1.2.4 repeatedly, and now tried 1.2.5 so I don't think
that .jar file is corrupt.  I've removed and re-deployed the webapp several
times, so it would be odd if the same file were damaged every time.

Help, please!

--
Wendy Smoak

Re: Trouble on HP-UX, 1.2.4 & 1.2.5 FileNotFoundException in commons-validator.jar

Posted by Craig McClanahan <cr...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, 01 Nov 2004 15:04:26 -0700, Wendy Smoak <ja...@wendysmoak.com> wrote:
> From: "Wendy Smoak" <ja...@wendysmoak.com>
> > 16:03:09,737 - ERROR org.apache.struts.validator.ValidatorPlugIn - JAR
> entry
> > org/apache/commons/validator/resources/validator_1_1_3.dtd not found in
> > /opt/hpws/tomcat/webapps/benauth-test/WEB-INF/lib/commons-validator.jar
> > java.io.FileNotFoundException: JAR entry
> > org/apache/commons/validator/resources/validator_1_1_3.dtd not found in
> > /opt/hpws/tomcat/webapps/benauth-test/WEB-INF/lib/commons-validator.jar
>
> For the archives... I begged for help on the dev list and Joe Germuska
> suggested extracting the dtd from the jar file and placing it (in the
> appropriate directory structure) under WEB-INF/classes.   This works, I'm no
> longer getting FileNotFoundException.  Still no idea what the problem is...

That most likely points to a bug in H-Ps JDK related to referencing
resources inside a JAR (probably in their implementation of a JAR
URLHandler).  I suspect that Commons Validator 1.1.3 is either
packaged somewhat differently than the version shipped in 1.2.0, or
that the code used to extract the validator resources inside Struts
has changed between 1.2.0 and 1.2.4/1.2.5 -- either of those could
have suddenly surfaced a lurking bug.

> --
> Wendy Smoak

Craig

Re: Trouble on HP-UX, 1.2.4 & 1.2.5 FileNotFoundException in commons-validator.jar

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ja...@wendysmoak.com>.
From: "Wendy Smoak" <ja...@wendysmoak.com>