Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com> on 2002/09/14 21:06:53 UTC

Is the HTTP-version in a request case sensitive?

There are a number of bug reports for 1.3. and 2.0 regarding how
we assume that the HTTP version part of a request is case sensitive
(ie, it must be something like "GET / HTTP/1.1" and not
"GET / http/1.1") but is that correct?

I'd like to either close these or correct these...

Re: Is the HTTP-version in a request case sensitive?

Posted by "Roy T. Fielding" <fi...@apache.org>.
On Monday, September 16, 2002, at 02:04  AM, Greg Stein wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 14, 2002 at 03:06:53PM -0400, Jim Jagielski wrote:
>> There are a number of bug reports for 1.3. and 2.0 regarding how
>> we assume that the HTTP version part of a request is case sensitive
>> (ie, it must be something like "GET / HTTP/1.1" and not
>> "GET / http/1.1") but is that correct?
>>
>> I'd like to either close these or correct these...
>
> I believe that Roy has said the *intent* was that they be case-sensitive,
> but the spec missed that point. I have no idea how I could find that
> discussion, though. The terms would find *way* too many hits... :-)

Yes, but I don't think anyone ever listed it as errata.  Are there actual
client implementations that send it, or are these bug reports being sent
in by the terminally anal?

We can change it to case-insensitive matching on our end just on the
basis of the robustness principle.

....Roy

Re: Is the HTTP-version in a request case sensitive?

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@lyra.org>.
On Sat, Sep 14, 2002 at 03:06:53PM -0400, Jim Jagielski wrote:
> There are a number of bug reports for 1.3. and 2.0 regarding how
> we assume that the HTTP version part of a request is case sensitive
> (ie, it must be something like "GET / HTTP/1.1" and not
> "GET / http/1.1") but is that correct?
>
> I'd like to either close these or correct these...

I believe that Roy has said the *intent* was that they be case-sensitive,
but the spec missed that point. I have no idea how I could find that
discussion, though. The terms would find *way* too many hits... :-)

Cheers,
-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/

Re: Is the HTTP-version in a request case sensitive?

Posted by "johannes m. richter" <jo...@gmx.net>.
>There are a number of bug reports for 1.3. and 2.0 regarding how
>we assume that the HTTP version part of a request is case sensitive
>(ie, it must be something like "GET / HTTP/1.1" and not
>"GET / http/1.1") but is that correct?

I looked it up in the HTTP/1.1 RFC (ftp://ftp.isi.edu/in-notes/rfc2616.txt)

Quoting:

    "literal"
       Quotation marks surround literal text. Unless stated otherwise,
       the text is case-insensitive.

[..]

    The version of an HTTP message is indicated by an HTTP-Version field
    in the first line of the message.

        HTTP-Version   = "HTTP" "/" 1*DIGIT "." 1*DIGIT

quote end.

And it doesn't state that it is case sensitive.. so I understand it that it
is case-insensitive.

HTH.
johannes

--
You kissed a girl?! That is so gay!  -- Jimbo (Simpsons)
- http://jgcl.at/ko/ - new photos from summer camp 2002 in Moosen/Tirol