Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Per Kreipke <pe...@onclave.com> on 2002/08/13 17:00:30 UTC

[Q] SunRise AuthAction nitpicking...

I see most actions returning empty maps by using either the EMPTY_MAP
constant from the AbstractAction base class or creating their own
unmodifiable map using Collections.

But in AuthAction, the map is returned via:

map = new HashMap();

as does SunRise.createMap()

I'm not a Java expert so I just want to be sure that it's not a memory leak.
I'm sure it gets garbage collected but isn't it cheaper to return a final
static variable (EMPTY_MAP), especially since it happens on every request?

Per

RE: [Q] SunRise AuthAction nitpicking...

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@s-und-n.de>.
Per Kreipke wrote:

> I see most actions returning empty maps by using either the EMPTY_MAP
> constant from the AbstractAction base class or creating their own
> unmodifiable map using Collections.
>
> But in AuthAction, the map is returned via:
>
> map = new HashMap();
>
> as does SunRise.createMap()
>
> I'm not a Java expert so I just want to be sure that it's not a
> memory leak.
> I'm sure it gets garbage collected but isn't it cheaper to return a final
> static variable (EMPTY_MAP), especially since it happens on every request?

It's not a memory leak - but it's a "performance killer". Yes, these two
places were overseen. I will fix this asap.

Thanks for spotting these.

Carsten