Posted to user@poi.apache.org by Peter Loft <Pe...@softwareimaging.com> on 2009/10/29 17:11:37 UTC

Null pointer exception when reading docx package - Retry

Sorry if this goes against forum posting rules but having not had any replies to my initial message I thought that I would repost.

I have just started to try and use Apache POI, specifically openxml4j part of it to read the parts of a docx file.

The following is how I'm trying to do this and the problems that I'm getting:

IDE: Eclipse 3.4.2.
POI Version: 3.5 Final.

I've created a Java project for POI (tried both all of it and just openxml4j part).
I've created an Android project which simply makes the following call (I've also tried OPCPackage given deprecation of 'Package'):

Package pkg = Package.open(aFilePathAndName, PackageAccess.READ);

I'm getting a null pointer exception in: ContentTypeManager::parseContentTypesFile. Specifically when trying to get the ContentType attribute.
Examination of the element reveals that it has two 'Extension' attributes but no ContentType one, hence the exception.

Now if I perform the above with beta openxml4j downloaded from sourceforge then it works OK.

Obviously there are changes in the way the XML is parsed between the two versions, dom versussax, but given the triviality of what I'm trying to do I must be doing something obviously wrong.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks in advance.

Peter.

Software Imaging: At the Forefront of Innovation in Printing and Imaging Software.
Providing Solutions for the Printer Industry and Mobile Phone Market.

Software Imaging Limited is a limited company registered in England and Wales.
Registered Office: 9400 Garsington Road, Oxford Business Park, Oxford, OX4 2HN, UK.
Registered No: 01755090

This message is strictly private and contains confidential information intended
only for the use of the person named above. If you have received this e-mail in
error and are not the intended recipient you must not disclose, copy or distribute
it to anyone else. Please immediately advise the sender and delete this email and
all attachments.

Re: Null pointer exception when reading docx package - Retry

Posted by MSB <ma...@tiscali.co.uk>.
Hello Peter,

I suspect that the reason you got very few replies - well OK, I admit it
none - was because users of POI tend not to use the API in just that manner.
I think it is safe to say they would probably do something like the
following;

FileInputStream fis = new FileInputStream(new File("MyFile.docx"));
XWPFDocument doc = new XWPFDocument(fis);

That is not going to be the case for 100% of the API's users of course but I
suspect it is the most common idiom. Therefore, there are few with the
knowledge or expertise to respond to your question - and I count myself in
that group. I fear you will have to wait for one of the developers to pick
up your question and I would ask you to bear in mind that many will be at
ApacheCon in the coming week.

Yours

Mark B