Posted to dev@directory.apache.org by Christoph Czurda <ha...@gmail.com> on 2011/09/19 12:45:04 UTC

Deploy apacheds in karaf and connect to it via apache directory studio

Hello!

As already suggested by others on your mailing list, I would also be
interested in deploying apacheds in karaf. So far I have been able to
install the osgi feature, that is, I have the apacheds bundle in active
state. Next, I wanted to see if this is sufficient to connect to the
server using apache directory studio. It seems not. The bundle being
active doesn't mean that the server is running and listening for
connections, does it?

What would be necessary to connect to the server?

Thank you and kind regards,
Christoph

Re: Deploy apacheds in karaf and connect to it via apache directory studio

Posted by Pierre-Arnaud Marcelot <pa...@marcelot.net>.
On 20 sept. 2011, at 14:21, Christoph Czurda wrote:

> Hi Pierre-Arnaud,
>
> Thank you for your quick reply!
>
> I've tried with both 1.5.7 and 2.0.0-M3 release and the result is the same for both. I refer to 2.0.0-M3 now. Building the osgi artifact creates a bundle: org.apache.directory.server/apache-osgi/{whichever_version}. The osgi module, which was originally commented out in the parent pom, is described as: "Uncomment to build all in one OSGi bundle."

I see now.
IIRC, this module has been created a while back (in early 2009) and is no longer maintained nowadays.
It has probably been working for earlier versions of ApacheDS released at the time the module was still part of the build. Probably 1.5.5.
I've never tested it personally.

As we've done with Shared/LDAP API modules, we intend to make each ApacheDS module an OSGI bundle.
However, as noted on this previous thread on ML [1], there are still major steps to accomplish this, like for example avoiding using the same package in two different modules (which logically makes OSGI go crazy).
A few bundle activators might also be needed.

> I will be glad to provide you with more information and I also offer my help in moving ApacheDS to OSGI as I plan to use it for another project.

Cool, any help is greatly appreciated, especially in making ApacheDS an OSGI software.
If you're familiar with OSGI and ApacheDS' code, feel free to create and/or reuse a JIRA issue and attach a patch fixing a particular problem.

Regards,
Pierre-Arnaud

[1] - http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/directory-dev/201104.mbox/%3C4DB73DC8.5010403@gmail.com%3E

Posted by Christoph Czurda <ha...@gmail.com>.