Posted to slide-user@jakarta.apache.org by Morten <li...@kikobu.com> on 2004/12/22 15:48:10 UTC

Robust setup (Was: MS XP client oddities)

Hi,

> http://greenbytes.de/tech/webdav/webdav-redirector-list.html
> http://greenbytes.de/tech/webdav/webfolder-client-list.html

Seen in the light of this, what would you recommend as a robust setup?
Does Slide put in any extra effort to work around MS client deficiencies?

My list of considerations for a robust setup so far:

1. Apache running HTTPS in front of Slide (ProxyPass via HTTP)
2. Apache proxies so a fixed port is not needed in the URL
3. Apache uses mod_auth_msfix for BasicAuth fixes
4. Apache rewrites URLs so DAV repositories are root folders, eg.
    http://dav.foo.myhost.com/ proxies to http://myhost.com:8080/dav/foo/

Other recommendations?

Thanks,

Morten

Re: Robust setup (Was: MS XP client oddities)

Posted by Morten <li...@kikobu.com>.
>> 4. Apache rewrites URLs so DAV repositories are root folders, eg.
>>    http://dav.foo.myhost.com/ proxies to http://myhost.com:8080/dav/foo/
>

> I'm curious: how is URL rewriting supposed to work with WebDAV? For
> instance, PROPFIND response bodies contain URLs that will not get
> rewritten on their way back to the client, right?

Good point.

It's not feasible to rewrite the returned content as that can
potentially be large amounts of data.

Coming up with a good mod_rewrite conditional URL rewrite scheme might
be an idea. That would place some constraints on what directory names
one can allow in the DAV repository though (as one would need to be
certain that directories starting with eg. /dav/.*/ should be rewritten).

Hmm..

Posted by Julian Reschke <ju...@gmx.de>.
Morten wrote:

> Hi,
>
>> http://greenbytes.de/tech/webdav/webdav-redirector-list.html
>> http://greenbytes.de/tech/webdav/webfolder-client-list.html
>

> Seen in the light of this, what would you recommend as a robust setup?
> Does Slide put in any extra effort to work around MS client deficiencies?
>
> My list of considerations for a robust setup so far:
>
> 1. Apache running HTTPS in front of Slide (ProxyPass via HTTP)
> 2. Apache proxies so a fixed port is not needed in the URL
> 3. Apache uses mod_auth_msfix for BasicAuth fixes
> 4. Apache rewrites URLs so DAV repositories are root folders, eg.
>    http://dav.foo.myhost.com/ proxies to http://myhost.com:8080/dav/foo/

I'm curious: how is URL rewriting supposed to work with WebDAV? For
instance, PROPFIND response bodies contain URLs that will not get
rewritten on their way back to the client, right?

Julian