Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Mike Duffy <md...@yahoo.com> on 2003/07/11 00:39:49 UTC

JSTL Book

Does anyone have a recommendation for a good JSTL book?

Re: JSTL Book

Posted by Kris Schneider <kr...@dotech.com>.
Keep in mind that I only recommend books that Craig has already
recommended. So, with that out of the way, I'd also recommend Shawn's
book. One of the reasons I spent my money on it was that Shawn was very
active on the taglibs-user list and it wasn't just to say, "Hey, if
you'd only buy my book, you'd have your answer". He obviously knew his
stuff and gave generously of his time. One other thing to consider is
that Manning offers PDF versions of many of their books for something
like $25. I haven't looked at David's book yet (maybe after Craig says
it's okay), so I can't say if I prefer one over the other.

--
Kris Schneider <ma...@dotech.com>
D.O.Tech       <http://www.dotech.com/>

RE: JSTL Book

Posted by Mark Galbreath <ma...@qat.com>.
Just tryin' to keep the conversation lively....  ;-)

RE: JSTL Book

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.

On Thu, 10 Jul 2003, Mark Galbreath wrote:

> Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2003 19:14:27 -0400
> From: Mark Galbreath <ma...@qat.com>
> Subject: RE: JSTL Book
>
> Craig's recommendation notwithstanding, I think the best JSTL book on the
> market right now is David Geary's "Core JSTL: Mastering the JSP Standard Tag
> Library," (Sun/Prentice-Hall 2003).  It is a really good read and has plenty
> of concrete examples.  And keep in mind that Craig doesn't always recommend
> the BEST book, but the book his friends have written.

As it happens, I haven't read David's book on JSTL.  I don't doubt (based
on past results) that he did an excellent job as well -- I just cannot
speak about it from personal experience at this point.

Any belief that there is one single "best" book on any topic, that is the
best for all users in all circumstances, would seem to me to be a little
naive though.  That's why I answered "I liked ..." instead of "the best
book is ..." and I won't try to tell you which one is best.  I also won't
recommend a book that I *haven't* read yet.

But I can see that Mark's in Friday mode already, so it's time to go back
to not paying attention to his remarks.

> Mark

Craig

Re: JSTL Book

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.

On Thu, 10 Jul 2003, David Geary wrote:

> > And keep in mind that Craig doesn't always recommend
> > the BEST book, but the book his friends have written.
>
> I'd like to think Craig is my friend.  8-]

Definitely ... and I like to think it works in the the reverse direction
as well :-).

> david

Craig

Re: JSTL Book

Posted by David Geary <sa...@earthlink.net>.
On Thursday, Jul 10, 2003, at 17:14 America/Denver, Mark Galbreath
wrote:

> Craig's recommendation notwithstanding, I think the best JSTL book on
> the
> market right now is David Geary's "Core JSTL: Mastering the JSP
> Standard Tag
> Library," (Sun/Prentice-Hall 2003).  It is a really good read and has
> plenty
> of concrete examples.

Thanks Mark. I must say Shawn's book is very good, as is Han Bergsten's
JSP book, which has thorough coverage of JSTL. Shawn and Hans are both
nice guys and sharp as razors.

I haven't read JSTL KickStart or Sue Spielman's book, which is coming
out soon.

If you want more information about Core JSTL, see www.core-jstl.com.

If you're interested in JavaServer Faces, see www.corejsf.com. Core JSF
is in the making!

RE: JSTL Book

Re: JSTL Book

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.

Re: JSTL Book

Posted by Martin Cooper <ma...@apache.org>.
I enjoyed Shawn's book a great deal. The writing style makes the book fun to
read, and it really is very well written, too. I learned a lot reading it.

Disclaimers:
1) I did the tech proof of this book, so I had to read it in great detail,
but it was still fun. ;-)
2) I haven't actually read any other JSTL books. (I haven't felt a need to.)

--
Martin Cooper