Posted to dev@flex.apache.org by Om <bi...@gmail.com> on 2012/08/28 01:06:45 UTC

Switching to AIR 3.4

On Mon, Aug 13, 2012 at 4:58 AM, Nicholas Kwiatkowski <ni...@spoon.as>wrote:

> Om,
>
> Which version of AIR did you compile this with?  I've mentioned it before,
> but I keep getting the "This application uses a version of Adobe AIR that
> is out of date."  This is both on my work PC and Laptop (both are on AIR
> 3.2).
>
> Updating to AIR 3.3 allowed me to install the app.

Nick,

I have tried to repro this with different AIR versions, but no luck.  This
is built using the shipping version of Apache Flex 4.8 - hence uses AIR 3.1
for the packaging.

> Additionally, there was two points where Windows decided that the app was
> no longer responding, and asked me if I wanted to close it.  During the MD5
> verification, and after it downloaded the AIR integration kit (and seemed
> to be extracting it).  It is possible to be doing some green threading
> during those phases to allow frames to continue to process?
>
> -Nick

This is because the uncompressing of the zip files and the MD5 hash
generation are both CPU intensive and hence lock the UI.

This is good reason to upgrade to AIR 3.4 to make use of the Workers API.
But that raises a couple of issues:

1.  Apache Flex 4.8 is targeted to work with AIR 3.1.  What are our plans
to add AIR 3.4 support?  Can we just upgrade and see what happens?

2.  To debug the Workers api, one would need to use the pre-release version
of Flash Builder 4.7.  Obviously not everyone on Apache Flex has access to
the pre-release build.  It is bad form for me to switch to 4.7 and check
this kind of code into Apache Flex SVN?

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks,
Om

Re: Switching to AIR 3.4

Posted by Nicholas Kwiatkowski <ni...@spoon.as>.
On Mon, Aug 27, 2012 at 7:06 PM, Om <bi...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 13, 2012 at 4:58 AM, Nicholas Kwiatkowski <nicholas@spoon.as
> >wrote:
>
> > Om,
> >
> > Which version of AIR did you compile this with?  I've mentioned it
> before,
> > but I keep getting the "This application uses a version of Adobe AIR that
> > is out of date."  This is both on my work PC and Laptop (both are on AIR
> > 3.2).
> >
> > Updating to AIR 3.3 allowed me to install the app.
> >

> Nick,
>
> I have tried to repro this with different AIR versions, but no luck.  This
> is built using the shipping version of Apache Flex 4.8 - hence uses AIR 3.1
> for the packaging.

Yeah, there are some changes that are required for it to work with AIR 3.4.
 I've got a build on my machine at home that 'works' with it, but I'm not
willing to share at the moment because I broke a bunch of other things :)

I was able to correct the issue by blowing away all copies of AIR on my
machine.  It seems there was a beta from way back when that was causing the
issue, even though I have the released 3.4 installed at the time.

> > Additionally, there was two points where Windows decided that the app was
> > no longer responding, and asked me if I wanted to close it.  During the
> MD5
> > verification, and after it downloaded the AIR integration kit (and seemed
> > to be extracting it).  It is possible to be doing some green threading
> > during those phases to allow frames to continue to process?
> >
> > -Nick
>

> This is because the uncompressing of the zip files and the MD5 hash
> generation are both CPU intensive and hence lock the UI.

Understood.  Merely wanted to point it out.

> This is good reason to upgrade to AIR 3.4 to make use of the Workers API.
> But that raises a couple of issues:
>
> 1.  Apache Flex 4.8 is targeted to work with AIR 3.1.  What are our plans
> to add AIR 3.4 support?  Can we just upgrade and see what happens?

Mostly, you need to update some of the version numbers -- and I'm sure
there are some side-effects of using the new swf version too.  I haven't
done a full test suite on it yet, but this may be a job for our CI or
mustella tests.

> 2.  To debug the Workers api, one would need to use the pre-release version
> of Flash Builder 4.7.  Obviously not everyone on Apache Flex has access to
> the pre-release build.  It is bad form for me to switch to 4.7 and check
> this kind of code into Apache Flex SVN?

Flash Builder 4.7 just got released to labs.
http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/flashbuilder4-7/

I also know the JetBrains and FDT guys are working on this support too.
 I'd imagine they are not too far behind.

-Nick

Re: Switching to AIR 3.4

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

On 8/27/12 4:06 PM, "Om" <bi...@gmail.com> wrote:

> This is good reason to upgrade to AIR 3.4 to make use of the Workers API.
> But that raises a couple of issues:
>
> 1.  Apache Flex 4.8 is targeted to work with AIR 3.1.  What are our plans
> to add AIR 3.4 support?  Can we just upgrade and see what happens?
IMO, we should get Mustella running clean before doing this so we can better
"see what happens".

> 2.  To debug the Workers api, one would need to use the pre-release version
> of Flash Builder 4.7.  Obviously not everyone on Apache Flex has access to
> the pre-release build.  It is bad form for me to switch to 4.7 and check
> this kind of code into Apache Flex SVN?
IMO, you are welcome to try it out in a branch.

--
Alex Harui
Flex SDK Team