Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Koorosh Vakhshoori <kv...@gmail.com> on 2012/03/12 22:01:10 UTC

Re: Display of highlighted search result should start with the beginning of the sentence that contains the search string.

Hi Koji,
  I am Shyam's coworker. After some looking into this issue, I believe the
problem of chopped word has to do with
org.apache.lucene.search.vectorhighlight.SimpleFragListBuilder class'
'margin' field. It is set to 6 by default. My understanding is having margin
value of greater than zero results in truncated word when the highlighted
term is too close to beginning of a document. I was able to reset the
'margin' field by creating my custom version of
org.apache.solr.highlight.SimpleFragListBuilder and passing zero for
'margin' when calling the Lucene's SimpleFragListBuilder constructor. My
testing shows the problem has been fixed. Do you concur?

  Now couple of questions. Not sure what the purpose of this field is, could
you give the use case for it? Also could it be exposed as a parameter in
Solr so it could be set to some other value?

Thanks,

Koorosh