Posted to users@maven.apache.org by "Ebersole, Steven" <st...@vignette.com> on 2004/01/14 14:24:38 UTC

single artifact mantra and ejb projects

I have a question about the mantra that a single project should produce a single artifact.  I can buy into that in every case I have run across or have thought about, except for projects involving ejb creation.  Typically an ejb project will produce both an ejb-jar file as well as a client-jar file.  But wouldn't that be two artifacts?

I have read a lot of external docs on setting up j2ee projects using maven, most of which suggest a multi project layout.  I can totally justify that for say a j2ee project producing an ear made up of sub ejb-jars and wars.  But in the case of a stand-alone ejb-jar producing project or an ejb-jar producing subproject of an ear project it seems like overkill to define a subproject for the ejb-jar generation and the client-jar generation, especially when both are  ultimately logically tied to the attainment of an ejb goal.

Could someone help me out in my understanding here?

Thanks,
Steve