Posted to user@whirr.apache.org by John Conwell <tu...@gmail.com> on 2011/05/17 00:01:02 UTC

Configuring coms between hadoop and cassandra clusters started with Whirr

I'm using Whirr to create two different clusters, one hadoop cluster and the
other a cassandra cluster, that need to communicate with each other (on
EC2).  I cant figure out how to configure the clusters to allow this.  I
looked at the python contrib scripts, by it looks like they are hadoop
specific, which doesnt really help me with cassandra.  Any ideas?

-- John C

Re: Configuring coms between hadoop and cassandra clusters started with Whirr

Posted by Tom White <to...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, May 16, 2011 at 3:13 PM, John Conwell <jo...@iamjohn.me> wrote:
> I was really hoping to standardize on Whirr for creating and destroying my
> clusters.  But Whirr creates its own security groups (so different clusters
> cant talk to each other), and I cant figure out how to pass in a security
> group as an argument.
> Maybe there a way to use the EC2 java api to create a common security group
> and add it to the two clusters after they are running.  Would that work?

I don't think you can add instances to a security group after launch.
However, you could set the permissions on the groups (via the EC2
command line tools, or the AWS console) that Whirr creates to allow
them to access one another.

Cheers,
Tom

Posted by Patricio Echagüe <pa...@gmail.com>.
Whirr in Python has a security group option:

 security-group none Amazon-specific. However, Amazon users may wish to
start a cluster in additional security groups, which isn't currently
supported in Java.
Unfortunately there is no whirr config for cassandra just yet.

Datastax AMI provides a way to pass your own security group.

Posted by John Conwell <jo...@iamjohn.me>.

Posted by Patricio Echagüe <pa...@gmail.com>.