Posted to dev@reef.apache.org by "Dudoladov, Sergey" <se...@tu-berlin.de> on 2016/01/18 12:28:51 UTC

Consider REEF for GSoC 2016.

Hi all,

I feel REEF can  apply as a mentoring organization to the Google Summer of Code 2016 (GSoC). In this program, Google pays students to work on open source projects - aka mentoring organizations - over the summer.   In between 8th - 19th of February, Google will accept applications from the projects for GSoC 2016.

GSoC guidelines: https://developers.google.com/open-source/gsoc/
ASF projects  in GSoC 2015: https://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/org2/google/gsoc2015/apache

A few ideas on potential projects:
1) Checkpoint service for .NET aka REEF-683
2) Driver restart logic for Java aka REEF-582
3) Unified exception policy for .NET similar to REEF-864
4) General bug fixing/TODO triage etc. such as  REEF-519 or REEF-1124

Each project needs a mentor to supervise a student.

Best,
Sergey

RE: Consider REEF for GSoC 2016.

Posted by Mariia Mykhailova <ma...@microsoft.com>.
I see ASF participated in GSoC 2015 as organization (http://community.apache.org/gsoc.html)

There should probably be something similar this year, but that page is not updated, and mentors mailing list is not available in archives. I can't find any indication of 2016 GSoC. I guess we can ask - what would be a good mailing list for that?

-Mariia

Posted by "Dudoladov, Sergey" <se...@tu-berlin.de>.
Hi again,

Posted by Mariia Mykhailova <ma...@microsoft.com>.
Looks like JIRA filter is private to only me
You can use
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/REEF-1162?jql=project%20%3D%20REEF%20AND%20labels%20%3D%20GSOC
instead, it's open even if not logged in
We'll replace it with wiki page in the final proposal

-Mariia

Posted by Byung-Gon Chun <bg...@gmail.com>.
I added or updated items in the wiki.

   - Long-running application management on REEF
   - New language (e.g., Scala, python, C++) binding for Tang
   - Wake visualiser for profiling

--
Byung-Gon Chun

Re: Consider REEF for GSoC 2016.

Posted by Byung-Gon Chun <bg...@gmail.com>.
Thanks, Mariia!

--
Byung-Gon Chun

RE: Consider REEF for GSoC 2016.

Posted by Markus Weimer <ma...@weimo.de>.

Posted by Byung-Gon Chun <bg...@gmail.com>.
Thanks, Mariia and Markus!

What do you think about the following topics?

   - Slider on REEF: Slider is a framework to make it easy to deploy and
   manage long-running static applications in a YARN cluster. The focus is
   to adapt existing applications such as HBase and Accumulo to run on
YARN with
   little modification. This project explores implementing the Slider
   functionality on REEF and demonstrates that such a service can be easily
   implementable with REEF.
   - New language (e.g., Scala, python, C++) binding for Tang: Tang
   <https://github.com/Microsoft-CISL/TANG> is the dependency injection
   framework for configuring distributed systems developed with REEF. The Tang
   APIs give configurations that are strongly typed and easily verified for
   correctness. In this project, you will implement a new language binding for
   Tang.

--
Byung-Gon Chun

Re: Consider REEF for GSoC 2016.

Posted by Markus Weimer <ma...@weimo.de>.
On 2016-01-26 10:57, Mariia Mykhailova wrote:
> I've labeled mentioned JIRAs with "GSoC", and created a filter that
> we'll use as an entry point for them:
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/issues/?filter=12334592

Thanks!

> Markus, could you please file JIRAs for ideas you mentioned which
> don't have JIRAs yet? They need more details in description than I
> can provide

Will do. This affects the following items:

  * Improve memory usage and performance of the Java group
    communications code.
  * A REEF runtime on VMs provided by [Azure|AWS|Google|...]
  * Tang visualization tools
  * Wake visualization and performance analysis tools.
  * A pluggable web ui for the driver

I'll respond to this thread once I am done.

Markus

RE: Consider REEF for GSoC 2016.

Posted by Mariia Mykhailova <ma...@microsoft.com>.
I've labeled mentioned JIRAs with "GSoC", and created a filter that we'll use as an entry point for them: https://issues.apache.org/jira/issues/?filter=12334592

Markus, could you please file JIRAs for ideas you mentioned which don't have JIRAs yet? They need more details in description than I can provide

I'll try to write a proposal draft today

-Mariia

Posted by Byung-Gon Chun <bg...@gmail.com>.
Mariia,

Posted by Mariia Mykhailova <ma...@microsoft.com>.
I can start a draft, but there are items on the list which are unclear to me: the ones about mentors selection (Markus and Byung-Gon?), and about encouraging students.

Posted by Markus Weimer <ma...@weimo.de>.

https://developers.google.com/open-source/gsoc/faq#how_does_a_mentoring_organization_apply

Re: Consider REEF for GSoC 2016.

Posted by Markus Weimer <ma...@weimo.de>.
+1 as well on the idea.

I'm with Mariia on the JIRAs to be chosen. It would be nice to have some
self-contained piece of work as the project. Also, it would be helpful
for someone in the community to deeply care about the project at hand to
be a dependable mentor.

A couple of them come to my mind:

  * Improve memory usage and performance of the Java group
    communications code.
  * REEF-334: Port REEF.NET to Linux
  * REEF-64: Driver discovery API for the client
  * A REEF runtime on VMs provided by [Azure|AWS|Google|...]
  * Tang visualization tools
  * Wake visualization and performance analysis tools.
  * A pluggable web ui for the driver
  * REEF-222: High performance `Cache`
  * REEF-267: Tang / JUnit integration
  * REEF-362: Wake over HTTP2
  * REEF-683: Checkpointing for REEF.NET
  * REEF-751: Cluster configuration

Markus

RE: Consider REEF for GSoC 2016.

Posted by Mariia Mykhailova <ma...@microsoft.com>.
+1, that sounds cool. I even know a Googler who could vouch for us, if we're not impressive enough ourselves :-)

If we want to apply, we probably need to label the JIRAs we select as "GSoC", so that they can be selected in a single list.

I feel REEF-519 or REEF-1124 are not the best choices for GSoC. The issues we select must be attractive for external people (so that students want to choose them).
REEF-519 heavily relies on prior knowledge of the code and asking code owners to triage TODOs they put in, which is not very inspiring for a new person.
REEF-1124 heavily relies on REEF-specific things, and is not trivial even for a person who has an idea what injection is (see discussion in REEF-703).

For an easier thing to do, I would suggest REEF-820 (FxCop adoption), which is standalone, is not very REEF-specific and teaches student tools potentially useful in other projects.
And it has potential to discover real bugs, which is always nice :-)
I could probably mentor this one.

-Mariia

GSoC is a great way to expose REEF to students.

Maybe my students can also take advantage of GSoC support. ;-)

Cheers,
Gon

--
Byung-Gon Chun