Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Olivier Baillard <ob...@bct-technology.com> on 2000/11/15 18:14:03 UTC

Tomcat 3.2 beta and PHP

Hi,

I would kike to know if somebody already have some experience with tomcat
and PHP working as serlet (with Tomcat). If somebody has some interest, I
would be happy to exchange my own experience. I get PHP to work with Tomcat
3.2 beta 7 on Linux with Java extension. You can exchange data between PHP
and Tomcat, use Java classes/beans. I know, some people will say me : use
JSP, you stupid idiot!!!!!! But the purpose of it is to use the flexibility
of PHP (whith html) and the power of Java together. Later we will connect
our Web-Application with some Software of us.

So, if someone hat interest, let me know...

Bye!
O. Baillard

Re: Tomcat 3.2 beta and PHP

Posted by Christian Wenz <ch...@stud.tu-muenchen.de>.
Hi Olivier,

the version not working was 4.0.1 - if I remember correctly. I tried it of course
in a very unstable environment (Win98, Microsoft's own PWS, old JDK 1.1.8) and had
no luck (however all versions from 4.0beta to 4.0.0 worked really fine, and
chances that I made some mistakes when replacing the appropriate files are minimal
;) ); under WinNT/Apache the system ran stable for about one minute ... The
strange thing was that Sam Ruby couldn't reproduce the crashes, other users
couldn't reproduce the crashed, however I always "succeeded" on all systems I
tried. The later versions however work like a charm (ok, most of the time :) ). I
think it's a great piece of code from Sam :-)

Regards
Christian

Re: Tomcat 3.2 beta and PHP

Posted by Olivier Baillard <ob...@bct-technology.com>.
Hello Christian,

I'am happy to see someone else in the world has tried to use PHP and Tomcat
together.

Sooo!! Which version of PHP work (or doesn't work) on Windows?

For the moment, I only really try on SUSE 7.0. with Apache. Which results
did you get?

Personally, I get the following:
- exchange of simple data like boolean, string, int, double and array of
string (String [][] for example).
- I wrote a class who is running in Tomcat to make some request from PHP
and give the result to PHP. Problem: it crashes sometimes. I compiled PHP
whit jdk1.3 from SUN and run Tomcat whith the samke jdk, adn know it seems
to be stable. But....!!!!!
- with phplib, I can use common session variable with PHP and Tomcat. The
adavantage: you can reach the session variable from PHP and from others
Java classes/applications.

The problems I found:
- Generally, php as servlet doesn't seems to be really stable (Tomcat
crashes, not really often, but I am not hapy with it).
- Sometimes mit Tomcat hang up (it doesn't answer to www request).
- if I make an include in a  PHP file and use the same include later, I
become some strange result : page not completly downloaded.

Bye! / Tschuess!

O. Baillard

At 18:38 15.11.00 +0100, you wrote:
>christian.wenz@stud.tu-muenchen.de
Hallo,
I've tried this as well, and was really happy with the results. However please
take into account that the windows versions of PHP are quite different in
terms
of stability. Some versions just fail to cooperate with Tomcat, crashing
reproducably, however most versions work just fine ... :-)
Regards
Christian

Re: Tomcat 3.2 beta and PHP

Posted by Christian Wenz <ch...@stud.tu-muenchen.de>.