Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by pa...@nhs.net on 2009/03/05 11:57:56 UTC

Is there a configurable parameter in web.xml for....

... the time period that tomcat spends honouring current requests when the
server is shutdown?

We have a web app used for secure file transfers and occasionally we need to
take it down, however some requests for downloads can take more than an hour
as the system allows very large files to be uploaded.

I know tomcat will stop taking new requests when the server is stopped, but
what would be good would be to set a parameter saying fully honour all
current requests before you completely finish (tomcat may already do this I
am not sure).

Thanks,

Paul

This  message  may  contain  confidential and  privileged  information.
If you  are not the  intended recipient  you should not  disclose, copy
or distribute information in this e-mail or take any action in reliance
on its contents.  To do so is strictly  prohibited and may be unlawful.
Please  inform  the  sender that  this  message has  gone astray before
deleting it.  Thank you.

2008 marks the 60th anniversary of the NHS.  It's an opportunity to pay
tribute to the NHS staff and volunteers who help shape the service, and
celebrate their achievements.

If you work for the NHS  and  would like  an NHSmail  email account, go
to: www.connectingforhealth.nhs.uk/nhsmail

Re: Is there a configurable parameter in web.xml for....

Posted by Kees Jan Koster <kj...@gmail.com>.
Dear Paul,

> ... the time period that tomcat spends honouring current requests
> when the
> server is shutdown?
>
> We have a web app used for secure file transfers and occasionally we
> need to
> take it down, however some requests for downloads can take more than
> an hour
> as the system allows very large files to be uploaded.
>
> I know tomcat will stop taking new requests when the server is
> stopped, but
> what would be good would be to set a parameter saying fully honour all
> current requests before you completely finish (tomcat may already do
> this I
> am not sure).

Tomcat does not do this out of the box. Since you have special
requirements, you could program this yourself.

You could write a servlet that shuts down the HTTP connector using
JMX. I am not 100% sure that that will not kill the running threads,
but you can easily test that. Here is some code to access the
connector and stop and start it. http://java-monitor.com/forum/showthread.php?t=169
  Accessing the Tomcat server to kill it is a matter of finding the
right mbean and method to invoke. You can use jconsole to examine the
mbeans in your Tomcat server.
--
Kees Jan

http://java-monitor.com/forum/
kjkoster@kjkoster.org
06-51838192

Rule 1 for being in a hole: stop digging.