Posted to c-users@xerces.apache.org by Jason Stewart <ja...@gmail.com> on 2007/09/17 12:35:29 UTC

Fwd: Building Xerces v3.0

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Nate <st...@msoe.edu>
Date: Sep 15, 2007 12:59 AM
Subject: Building Xerces v3.0
To: c-users-owner@xerces.apache.org

Hello,

I have recently built Xerces 3 and statically linked it into an
application that was previously running Xerces 2.6.  I dumped the symbols
and noticed a number of Xerces validation symbols.  I read a posting on
the mailing list about the Xerces v3 build being able to better control
what objects are built in.  I would like to shrink my application
footprint by removing the validation objects because the application
disables the validation feature at runtime.  Can someone either point me
to some instructions or show me how to do this?

I think I could save about 300K if I could remove the validation objects
from the build.  I searched the Xerces source to see which object caused
the compiler to link in the validation files, and I think it is the
SAX2XMLReader.

Thanks for the help,
-Nate

Re: Fwd: Building Xerces v3.0

Posted by David Bertoni <db...@apache.org>.
Jason Stewart wrote:
> [...]
I'm not familiar with any work that's been done to disentangle the
validation code from the core parsing code, although I do agree it would be
a nice feature.

> I think I could save about 300K if I could remove the validation objects
> from the build.  I searched the Xerces source to see which object caused
> the compiler to link in the validation files, and I think it is the
> SAX2XMLReader.
I doubt that's the only thing that brings in validation code.  There is a
fair amount of architectural spaghetti that forces things to be linked in
that aren't needed.

Dave