Posted to dev@arrow.apache.org by Antoine Pitrou <an...@python.org> on 2021/06/23 16:39:47 UTC

[Python] Drop Python 3.6 and Numpy 1.16 support?

Hello,

In https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ARROW-12706 it was proposed to
drop support for the aforementioned Python and Numpy versions.  The
rationale is that they have ceased to be supported by Numpy, which is a
mandatory dependency of PyArrow.

Besides, Pandas (an optional dependency of PyArrow) already dropped
support for Python 3.6, and Python 3.6 will be unsupported by the Python
core team at the end of 2021.

What do you think?  If you are opposed to this, please speak up.

Regards

Antoine.

Re: [Python] Drop Python 3.6 and Numpy 1.16 support?

Posted by Antoine Pitrou <an...@python.org>.
We definitely can.  The cost of supporting Python 3.6 is rather low.

Posted by Micah Kornfield <em...@gmail.com>.
Hi Joris,
The reason why I asked for an extension, is I believe several products from
my company that have Arrow as a dependency still support Python 3.6.  Most
are aiming to get off by next quarter.  I'm not sure what version they will
jump to.  I can't speak to what a general rational policy here is but for
most enterprise users I expect they would like to see support for all
Python versions that aren't EOL.

-Micah

Posted by Joris Van den Bossche <jo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Micah Kornfield <em...@gmail.com>.